mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

... looks like something out of Robocop
Beer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Beer »

I use my Alesis Micron, it's so easy to use, no learning curve really, it's fun.

Up to 16 bars, up to 32 steps per bar, more than enough for me, although the screen is tiny so I rarely use 32 steps to avoid the scrolling.

The sounds are okay, good enough for me, although there are very few 'real' sounding ones which isn't so good.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I use lots of stuff

Minidisk recorder
Logic's audio editor
NI Battery
Korg Electribe
Reasons Dr Rex and sometimes Redrum
Reakor
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Machinedrum with UW function - it's a dream for everything that sparkles, bubbles, bleeps, crackles and scratches

Jomox XBase09 - analog kicks FTW. i love it for it's oldschool sound. It's no 808/909, but i think it comes close.

I sometimes use the DSI Evolver as FX unit and route the sound from the drummachines through it. It can generate some mad distortion. And LFOs routed to the right parameters can bring a static percussion loop to life.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

northernlight wrote: Machinedrum with UW function
is UW function sampling?
and if yes, how do you feel with this feature on the machinedrum?
is it true that you can send samples to and from a computer only via midi dump?
is this usable?

sorry, lots of questions... :shock:
but i'm considering buying one....
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

4am wrote: is UW function sampling?
yes it is in some ways.
the first application: you can record two bars of either internal sound or from the external inputs. this is then stored in the RAM. you then can use any kind of parameter (EQ, Filter, Distortion, Delay) on this recorded loop. you can also play around with the start and end point of the loop. it is possible to let it play reversed. you also get the retrigger function that can create some crazy stuttering FX. This is also totaly usable in a live situation

the second application: you can load samples from your PC into the ROM of the Machinedrum. There are different slots for one-shots and loops, with slightly different parameters for each. this is lots of fun. i often use samples from thunder, laughs, snorts, bells and what ever. then mangle them to create completly new sounds.
4am wrote:and if yes, how do you feel with this feature on the machinedrum?
For me, UW is what the machinedrum is all about. i use the jomox for standart kick/snare/hihat stuff. the machinedrum is for the crazy percussion like sounds. If you get a machinedrum, get the UW feature for sure. i also sample my synths into it. say i got a bassline from evolver. i then sample it into machinedrum and use it to create lots of crazy edits and versions of this bassline. it's great for live use.
Loading Samples into ROM via PC is a bit laborious. But once they are loaded you can use them like all the other machines.
4am wrote:is it true that you can send samples to and from a computer only via midi dump?
yes and no. you can either do the midi dump, or record with the RAM-Record machines. RAM-record is great in live situations or resampling. if you have something like 15 oneshot samples, it's is easier to use the midi dump.
4am wrote:is this usable?
yes, it worked everytime for me. it's not usable in a live situation. well it works while the machinedrum is playing, but it takes a few seconds for each sample to load.
4am wrote:sorry, lots of questions... :shock:
but i'm considering buying one....
easy, it's always fun to talk about music machines :-)

if you want a sound example of machinedrum uw driven to the extreme go to www.myspace.com/chalasuemez

this is a sideproject of mine. I first created a 2 bar drumloop with the machinedrum. Then resampled it into uw. then i loaded this drum loop about 8 times. each one is differntly eq'd with different delays, distortions, sample start and end points and retirggers. also there are LFO's all over the place. also in there is a voice sample that goes: what am i, which is from another track i did. that's why it's a remix :-)

yeah, bear in mind this is an extrem example, it is also capable of much more classic sound. but it's a good example to show the possiblities of UW.

:EDIT: oh du bisch vo züri :D ig wohne in solothurn. wenn niemer könsch wo e machinedrum het, cha der se schüsch mau vorfüere.
MdM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MdM »

In these days i use a lot limelite, from Reaktor, and also krypt (with amp envelope close to zero..).
In general Electribe e-r 1, Impulse, and now i would try microtonic too.. But i still waiting for a elktron machinedrum...
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hey thanks for the infos northernlight!
that's vey kind of you!
it looks really fine... just one horrible thing.......the price (-)

and i forgot one last question (sorry :roll: )
how looks the sequencer like?