looking for a name

- open
leeism
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by leeism »

We had the same problem when we started out in Brighton. Techno was assumed to be panel-beating music for crusties and knuckleheads and house was like, Eric Morillo or Judge Jules or something.

Seven years on, and we run four super succesful club nights, all of which have some basis in techno, and now everyone in town is going on about how great minimal is. All the breakbeat, drum n bass and funky house crews are now playing it. We made a point of not calling it techno for a long time and it worked. Some suggestions:

'Cutting-edge club grooves'
'hyper-cool electronic dance music'
'forward-thinking club music from Europe's hottest labels' etc.

Cheesy, I know, but as I say, if you can lead em gently you could well end up with a really decent scene. Good luck!
markenstien
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markenstien »

thanx for the help! So what night do you do in brighton? I have a friend thats just moved there for uni and i was looking for a good night to go to when i visit! Will definately check it out sometime :) In the end we just called in experimental electronic disco music!
positivefeedback
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by positivefeedback »

hey. do you know a guy called ben logue. hes been in bournmouth for a few years and established himself as a dj. just wondering
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Bournemouth is getting cool now. We put minimal techno and underground house on the Delete posters and it's doing fine. but this topic was a year before delete started.
menos160
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by menos160 »

bump

not worth it
Last edited by menos160 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Get Clique'd!
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

leeism wrote: 'Cutting-edge club grooves'
'hyper-cool electronic dance music'
'forward-thinking club music from Europe's hottest labels' etc.
I think I've avoided shows due to labels like that.
I mean how different is "forward-thinking club music" or "cutting-edge club grooves" from "idm" or "progressive house"? Nothing wrong with those genres, but the certainly implies what you think about other "club music." That kind of implication would keep me from going. Me and my non-"forward-thinking" taste would obviously get looked down on. Granted, I'm not that far from your techno crowd stereotype.

</rant>