Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

- open
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

dude, the bassline was played on an analogue piece and i never use loops in my tracks..... EVER.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

lee went back to the future...... to grab samples... lol..

I assumed the preset thing was a little joke... no..[?]

so the ending is such: lee use gear and that fella may or may not have sampled it.. lee gave his blessings anyways.. lol..

let's all just ( s m i l e ) - and pass to the left..

:)
TiEZ
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TiEZ »

Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

leecurtiss wrote:dude, the bassline was played on an analogue piece and i never use loops in my tracks..... EVER.
just wanted to give you a big up for that. Your production has been really solid as of late...In fact, I have been playing the hell out of "the itch" with really good response. Some ass face will probably sample that as well :wink:
seth
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by seth »

Celltek wrote:As for the long decay snare. Jay Haze claims to be the originator of that sound but it has become a much used feature in mnml sounds, just as the bleeps and blurps and the tikkitakki sounds.. This is just like rock music which all has a distrorted guitar riff and trance its annoying synth. Big deal..

And Yes there are sampling rules. However in electronic music the focus of the song is not so much the bridge/chorus/break but the loop or the sounds used in the loop and how they interconnect and create a really cool groove. What leroy did is take that what made Lee's track acceptionally cool and declared it his own because
1. He's a really commercial house dj with no production talent
2. The people in his crew and who like his music have no friggin idea who Lee is and therefore cannot accuse him of stealing. Because he would not dare sample dj Roog (another dutch house dj)

This is minimal people. The loop is THE TUNE! You cannot steal that!!

1. i watched lee make the track. from nothing.

2. we dont use microtonic
if thing don't progress, will the future truly come
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Is this release going to remain a digital exclusive?
Minimalsm.gr
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimalsm.gr »

good promo for both tracks anywayz
8)
DennisN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

Post by DennisN »

JackNine wrote:I swear it's becoming more and more common to sample newer songs then drop them over a different drumbeat and call them your own. I've noticed this in the past on Beatport, but I've always assumed maybe they were licensed samples by these lesser known producers? Now I'm starting to wonder if that's not the case and in fact people are just hacking sounds.

Go to Beatport and listen to the original first:

Feb 20th, 2007:
Seph / Lee Curtiss - Tar Ann Tullah

Then listen to this:

June 18th, 2007
Leroy Styles - Rise

That bassline is totally hacked. It's not even pitched differently. Unless Lee gave this guy the rights to use it, my question is... Isn't that illegal, not to mention unethical?

All Bullshit...

I am a friend and also the manager of Leroy Styles...

1. I was with Leroy when he made this track from scratch.
2. Yes Leroy was infuenced by the Remix Lee Curtis made from Seph - Tar ann Tullah, But he Made it his own way and played/made every sample himself. with all respect to Lee curtis!
3. If you listen to both tracks you hear a big difference, dont know what you are hearing, maybe what you want to hear???
4. Leroy don't even wanted his track to sound like the track of Lee Curtis.

I dont know what the fuss is all about... and see this as just trying to talk about something, and does not know where he is talking about...

PEACE!