Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Leroy says:" Im out to sample YOU!" :twisted:
A/V
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by A/V »

somebody's tone deaf..that Styles "version" is way less cool anyway you slice it
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

We have the beginnings of a minimal techno war. This is how biggie and 2 pac blew up. All lee has to do is bang leroy's girl.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

shaun wrote: wow, looks like you have it all figured out.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
!!!

Get some sleep Shaun, we all know you could use it.

@ Everybody else: yes I do have it all figured out!
svenlito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by svenlito »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
shaun wrote: wow, looks like you have it all figured out.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
!!!

Get some sleep Shaun, we all know you could use it.

@ Everybody else: yes I do have it all figured out!
wowow, how about u, get ur sh!t together n stop offending ppl.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

isn't there a law about sampling. as far as i'm introduced by it, any sample that's one bar long is okay, but far from that is considered to be stealing. so in my opinion this dude used a 1 second synth percussion and everyone here is jumping like it's the end of the world. so many producers sampled jelinek's percussions and hats it's unbelieveable, yet noone mentioned a word. what about that trademark shuffling in minimal, isn't that a rip off? always the same percussion sound, yet noone complains. oh yea, and what about the basslines, everyone uses the same pattern like gaiser does. i won't even start with long decay snare, or maybe some flange over the top. what i want to say is, don't act offended over this...it's so minor that it's not worth talking about. lee's track is way better, his suck. do you really think this matters so much, i mean...would our little ego tripping here help solve this big injustice? don't think so. only more ego's to be crushed and no point at all.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

As for the long decay snare. Jay Haze claims to be the originator of that sound but it has become a much used feature in mnml sounds, just as the bleeps and blurps and the tikkitakki sounds.. This is just like rock music which all has a distrorted guitar riff and trance its annoying synth. Big deal..

And Yes there are sampling rules. However in electronic music the focus of the song is not so much the bridge/chorus/break but the loop or the sounds used in the loop and how they interconnect and create a really cool groove. What leroy did is take that what made Lee's track acceptionally cool and declared it his own because
1. He's a really commercial house dj with no production talent
2. The people in his crew and who like his music have no friggin idea who Lee is and therefore cannot accuse him of stealing. Because he would not dare sample dj Roog (another dutch house dj)

This is minimal people. The loop is THE TUNE! You cannot steal that!!
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: @ Everybody else: yes I do have it all figured out!
sorry, its only my opinion, but:

whats the problem?

the crowd never ask, "how" u make your sounds.
its only the result, if people like it or not.

there are no secrets, because you can read everything on internet about making music/tracks.

im a sample freak, using some licenced(!) and legal samples, why not?.
and so many artists using it and having much success and nobody ask about the background. and i also can create some similar sounds with my korg emx1, people would think "he sounds like blabla".

i only see the difference between "stealing" samples/sounds/melodies without permission or using samples/sounds from my own or licenced/free samples.

and there are tons of tracks, the soundpictures are very similar to some originals (because of the same hard/software).

an artist can use everything, if its legal, to make his own style.

example:
dominik eulberg tells in a interview, he uses some free samples from the internet.
i also hear some free samples on some works from robag wruhme.
and there are much more examples.
are there bad guys?
i say: no!

to everyone:
i hate speculating, so i ask leroy and perhaps, he give a personal statement to this. to adjudge him without any background is not the right way. it only make rumours...