hardware only producers?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

steevio wrote: compare that to some of the insipid performances i've seen over the last few years from geeks hiding behind laptops,
sorry i should probably point out that i am myself a geek with a laptop, who has played live with ableton, i didnt mean to offend an entire breed of musician :lol:
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

hardware has two things working for it over software.
1. interface
2. sound

software has two things over hardware.
1. interface
2. sound

until they make a hardware tracker i will still be in love with renoise. until the majority of softsynths stop trying to recreate older analogue synths i will not purchase them or use them. the softsynths that take pride in their digital sound are the only computer based instruments that i am interested in since they don't try to hold the character that the digital realm gives their sound. computer musicians are always trying to hide the fact that it is digital music, made on a computer. personally i think that is some of the coolest sh!t ever. i go everywhere with my powerbook. i go to the river now that it is summertime, i go to the coffee shops and work for hours to get me out of the house.

as with all other things i put all purchases to the usability, character, interface, every other little thing/ cost test. under this test very few pieces of hardware, and software for that matter, have made it through the test. to make quality professional sounding music all producers/ composers/ musicians need two things. good monitors and a good a/d converter. anything more than that is just icing on the cake as far as i am concerned.

the trick that i have found is to avoid infatuation with gear or software, and try actually learning your tools.music in this day and age lends itself to pragmatism not lust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

provaznik wrote: the trick that i have found is to avoid infatuation with gear or software, and try actually learning your tools.music in this day and age lends itself to pragmatism not lust.
very astute sir !
we are sometimes so overwhelmed with the available technology, we don't learn to use it before we or it moves on.
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

provaznik wrote: under this test very few pieces of hardware, and software for that matter, have made it through the test. to make quality professional sounding music all producers/ composers/ musicians need two things. good monitors and a good a/d converter. anything more than that is just icing on the cake as far as i am concerned.

what's an a/d converter? :oops:
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

and a/d converter is what gets sounds from a microphone or synth or whatever with an audio output into a computer. a d/a converter doing the exact opposite.
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

a/d = analog to digital converter and vice versa
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/