What is an album to you?

- open
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

I'm definately with you guys on this.. and antonio_pt, you pretty much nailed it on the head.. I would love to hear the same thing, which is what i'm trying to do with the album.. I love the playfulness of hip hop albums, with lots of little skits in between tracks.. and I also agree that you can't really achieve the effect of a great timeless album with a bunch of 120+ bpm tracks..

Which is why i'm enjoying listening to a lot of hip hop lately..

What happened to the album in electronic music?!?!?!?!

since we're on the topic, an album i highly suggest you hear is Alka Rex - Shapes to Phases for anyone that hasn't..

keep the replies comin, this is very helpful and intresting to discuss.. ADIOOOOSSSS
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

an album should be 'you'
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

the new pan sonic album is the bomb...

really deep and works you through layers..

but I thik an album should be alike a mix... its more than a collection of tunes, it has to go somewhere and tell a story, and leave the listener with a feeling of completeness at the end of it.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

When you listen to an album you shouldn't expect something in particular... It's art. Not an american movie.

If you order a pizza, then yes, you'll get what you want with the extras and sh!t.

What's all this "should be" "can't be" stuff??

As for what happened to "the album"... teh intrwebnet has to do something with this I think... maybe not... maybe people are in a hurry, lazy... maybe they find music and artists disposable... I wonder if it's a right question to ask, really.

Interesting... i'm going to get a coffee latté.
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: What is an album to you?

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:Ok guys... i rarely start threads.. but i thought that i would benefit from everyones answers here so i thought i would.. OK.....

GREAT..

NOW..

The question is.. what is an album to you.. I just recently decided to start working on my first album.. And i thought, a lot of the albums these days that would fall under minimal techno are just a bunch of techno tracks.. now for me, an albm is a full experience that has a start, middle and end.. when i listen to U2 albums, or .. so many REAL albums. they all make sense.. and its not just one genre of music.. I'm thinking, when i make an album it shouldnt all be techno.. because for me personally, I'm a music lover.. whether it be funk or reggae, or hip hop or electronic music.. how do all of you see the PERFECT album.. thanks for everyones replies in advance.. I find it really hard these days to really talk about music and really talk about the things that make an album.. i love eps, but i think albums are when people can really shine.. Anyway.. honestly, all im trying to do is to make an album that has touched me like amny albums have.. what i want is to create that feeling that i get from so many albums.. The feeling where you can't skip thru an album.. where you want to listen to a cd all the way thru without skipping thing.. much love to everyone who replied here.. PEACE
Mate, for sure, do something different, totally left-field. Most people won't dig it for that fact; but that's not the point, at least YOU will be happy with what you've done. Word.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Yo Thom.. i might have misinterpretted your reply.. but anyway.. i already have in my head what it will sound like and a couple of tracks are done and lots more in progress.. so its not like i'm reading this thread and doing what people see as an album that is a work of art.. the only reason I posted this is because I listen to a lot of albums now, in the "mnml techno" world and i would call most of them a loooong EP.. 4/4 all the way thru..

I'm with ya Daniel.. i'm doing MA THANG.. no other way to do it.. :idea:
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:
I'm with ya Daniel.. i'm doing MA THANG.. no other way to do it.. :idea:
Dahhhhyahhhgaw! :D

(that meant "there you go")
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

For me it seems strange to see an album from an electronic artist with only a very very few single releases before doing an entire album, maybe that's just me.

Why do write "when i listen to U2 albums, or .. so many REAL albums", isn't our music REAL?

I do agree that a few electronic albums are 'just' a collection of tracks, but so what? I guess it's what the artist wants to do with it.
I'm not into mixing the genres too much, going from reggae to hiphop to house and the techno doesn't seem right in my world. Especially not if the artist is not known for this mixed content beforehand.

Now a days it's about buying the tracks you want, and this ruins the perfect albums in my opinion so I would say that you should really have a super big hype and the super super perfect 10-14 tracks to be able to make that album that everybody just keeps listening to from the beginning to the end all the time.

Why are people saying there's not enough albums? Isn't there tons out there?