Stuck In The Middles!

- ask away
PlasmaFlux
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by PlasmaFlux »

plaster,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share all that!

Here's a link to a 30 second chunk of one of the pieces I'm working on right now:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/24pjk9

That file is quick and dirty, but it demonstrates what I'm talking about to some degree...

There's still lots to do just on that part. For example, I just learned about side-chain compression to help the kick punch through the mix.

I end up with nice little bits like this that have potential, but am lacking the rest of the song that rests on either side of the bits.

Your advice is helpful. I enjoyed those two articles you posted links to, plus am halfway done with "A Practical Guide to Music Composition". All that stuff is giving me lots of information to move forward with!

I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakthrough -- a chick hatching from its egg. (more motivational speaker hoogey-moogey for ya.) :lol:

Thanks Again,

~PlasmaFlux
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

Make use of your controller and map all the oxygens keys and pots to mute parts... kicks/ claps/ hats... remember you can map many things to 1 key and set maximum and minimum values also map effect and eqs lfos, delays, reverb freeze and anything just fucking map as much stuff as possible so u get it all on the button!!!

Now

Make say 4-8 copys of your funky little scene, even a 4 bar is cool and make some random edits to each like deactivating a few notes from midi or adding a few new ones/ reverse some.

Now hit record/play first time but dont take to much notice of the fact your recording.... no pressure!

Now twiddle away on all the buttons and pots/ get a feel for it... have fun and you will end up with an arrangement you can edit for all the good bits and then rearange by mouse or in the same way as it was made
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

New Guy wrote:this has been answered already. and i think with the search function you could have found the right topic.
try searching for arrangement, or writers block or stuff like that...
this reminds me, Robot Criminal, dont mean to sound pushy or anything but any news regarding this reoccuring problem?
nop :(
it seems like ppl have no time in their hands (including myself) :roll:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

plaster wrote:another good tip is to never make loops with pair numbers such as 2, 4, 6, 8 because they give that end feeling, like something is in cycles.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? 2bar loops with 5bar loops etc... or have fills that break up the flow?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

hydrogen wrote:
plaster wrote:another good tip is to never make loops with pair numbers such as 2, 4, 6, 8 because they give that end feeling, like something is in cycles.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? 2bar loops with 5bar loops etc... or have fills that break up the flow?
it does sound weird, i know. hm, well, try it like this. i assume that one bar consists of 4 beats, right? well, i noticed when i make a loop which has a span of 1 bar it has this feeling of ending, but when i make a 3 beat loop it feels neverending. get it?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

plaster wrote:it does sound weird, i know. hm, well, try it like this. i assume that one bar consists of 4 beats, right? well, i noticed when i make a loop which has a span of 1 bar it has this feeling of ending, but when i make a 3 beat loop it feels neverending. get it?
hey this is a great idea, i've done this by accident a few times and does really help for the hypnotic stuff...

heheh and the advice is even better when i can imagine ALF is telling it to me
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

I find this document quite handy:

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personn ... index.html

it was posted a while ago on this forum