[PTYT 06] - Pan Sonic - Katodivaihe / Cathodephase - 2007

- wax
JF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

[PTYT 06] - Pan Sonic - Katodivaihe / Cathodephase - 2007

Post by JF »

"Pansonic are Mika Vainio and Ilpo Vaisanen, both Finnish nationals now based in Berlin. Katodivaihe is Pansonic's first release for Blast First Petite since 'sidestepping' (at their own request) from the newly EMI owned Blast First/Mute Records for whom they have recorded since 1995. Their last release being the 'quadruplets' that made up 2004's musically massive and testing Kesto box set. These 2006 recordings that make up this album features the continued extension and development of their trademarked warm electronic sound as per album bookends 'Virta 1& 2,' and dub technique pummeling rhythms ('Tugboat') and the heavy metal pound of 'Machinist.' But this new record also sees them expand their musical horizons further by the inclusion of young Icelandic cello player Hildur Gudnadottir on several tracks, and the use of some more funk-based rhythms, while taking stretching the listener in the opposite direction via the abstracted soundscape centerpieces of 'Kytkennat/Connection' & 'Haiti.' Pan Sonic have remained true to their original and pioneering use of their special handmade analog tone generators, more old radio set than synthesizers, with the occasional use of digital samplers for the more rhythmic sounds. They still record live to DAT tape in real time with no overdubbing. With typical clarity they re-cycle their earlier quotation on the basis that 'it already says everything... there is no theory for Pan Sonic. We have no plan. We just make the music...' (Mika Vainio). In 2005, they were awarded Finnish Artists of the Year, much to the consternation of several elderly painters who had been quietly waiting their turn before passing away. Cathodephase is a bright, sunshiney pop album that will delight both the aficionado and the newly curious."

listen to samples @ http://www.boomkat.com

i think i´m going to fall in love / Johan
mo's taverne
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mo's taverne »

Huuge!! I love it. :shock:

But........NO VINYL!!!! aaaargghhhh WHY?!?!
...:.::.:::.:.....::....:...::...::.::::....::...:....

http://biloba.twoday.net/
JF
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JF »

yes it´s massive! going to be my fav for a long time...hope they´ll release a vinyl edition later....
zentex
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by zentex »

i love this record. the cello gives it such a new depth, really nice addition.

my favourite band of all times.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

distorted overloaded madness :) my favorite album lately.

"This record (is) as good, or as bad, as your own imagination will allow."

And its: Pansonic “Katodivaihe/Cathodephase” PTYT 007 - MAY 2007
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Huge one, didn't like that much the first track since it gave me the feeling they lost their mind and became trancey ;-)