do we need to go back underground?

- open
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Put yourself in their place. You're playing in front of some thousand people, having fun, partying... And then you have to pause every time to write down the track you're playing.

I wouldn't do it either.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Zinthek wrote:Put yourself in their place. You're playing in front of some thousand people, having fun, partying... And then you have to pause every time to write down the track you're playing.

I wouldn't do it either.
Can you not get a tracklist from serato or something...

Not that I think they should post tracklists of their sets, because lets be honest a lot of people try to copy them. so if they have access to a tracklist then theres gonna be people just playing the same set Richie or Magda did 6 months before.

that & half the fun of being a DJ is discovering new tunes, if all you have to do is check the Minus website for some song you heard Troy Pierce play at the weekend then it takes most of the fun out of it.
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Zinthek wrote:Put yourself in their place. You're playing in front of some thousand people, having fun, partying...
(...and making excellent cash, might I add...)

That's gotta be a pain.
And then you have to pause every time to write down the track you're playing.
...or take a sip from your drink...

Don't they record their sets anyway?

In any case, not hard. Not hard at all. Considering how much musicians
a)would appreciate it
b)most probably would benefit from it
c)work their asses off on that music.

Besides, it's THEIR damn music (the musicians). When you're in a band and cover a tune from another one, you're not expected to hide who it's from. Whether you bought the record or not. If find it that very basic. Decency.
Rochey wrote: Not that I think they should post tracklists of their sets, because lets be honest a lot of people try to copy them. so if they have access to a tracklist then theres gonna be people just playing the same set Richie or Magda did 6 months before.
Is this lot of people be doing anything original otherwise? Would it steal some buisness from the big ones?
There are tons of djs like that anyway.
that & half the fun of being a DJ is discovering new tunes, if all you have to do is check the Minus website for some song you heard Troy Pierce play at the weekend then it takes most of the fun out of it.
Are djs so lazy they can't even have fun? :wink:

I wasn't seeing it from a djs perspective anyway.

I also think it would be good for non-dj's to have acces to this info...

It's so damn simple.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

When I first started spinning, it was all about covering up the labels on your records so no one could see.
Now that everything is online, it's not hard to find out what the DJs are playing anyway.
When I'm shopping, I just go without preconcieved notions and get what sounds good. This has always worked well for me.
Don't sweat other's playlists. Make it so they want to know yours! :)
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

underground > club

Chicago : No Affiliation :

Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

trak660 wrote:When I first started spinning, it was all about covering up the labels on your records so no one could see.
I always hated that attitude. DJs should be promoters of the music they're playing. Everything alse is disrespectful to the artists who actually made the music.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
sylvie.foret
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sylvie.foret »

i don't know if anyone said this already, but where i come from, underground is defined by the music/party happening outside of mainstream clubspace.

in the us, minimal IS the underground. end of story. in fact, most dance music is underground. the only people who know one dj/producer/live act from another are the serious headz. everyone else is just following the hype and pretty flyers.
Farabee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

jpls wrote:hm...i'm more interested in techno getting more innovative
and experimental. seems like that might help remove some
people so some of you could feel cool again.
Or they can all move to Indiana and see how truly "underground" this sh!t is. Nothin' like playing techno for about 20 bored college kids at a PBS event amirite?

There's a fine line between something that's innovative and something that just doesn't work. Techno is dance music, any way you slice it. Half the time its being pumped through big fucking speakers with little regard for the nuances you'd get on a home hi-fi. Ambient and drone are two genres that lend themselves a little more to experimentalism, for instance.

Right now though I think that the old loop techno got a lot more creative with the sounds and the way they were arranged and composed than about 65% of minimal I hear. The reason why the genre is so flooded is because it's the only thing that's selling right now, so many producers who created some truly brilliant material in the realm of techno and tech-house like Marco Carola are pumping out pure garbage like the Apnea release on Plus8. It's really the only way he can eat, and I can't fault him for that.

As an aside, what kills me the most about that particular example is he was already producing brilliant minimal tracks on the B-sides of Question, there was no need to pander to the ultra-mnml crowd at all. It's just stupid.
Last edited by Farabee on Tue May 22, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.