mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by perik »

i welcome the house i think it`great now during the summer time
punchi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by punchi »

Producers are going back to older styles and sounds, going back to the roots of the genre...with infinitely better production techniques I might add, which is what is causing such a huge change in the music lately.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Technotechno didnt die because it was fast, it died because it was sample/loop based - relying on a certain sound/production technique to sound in a certain way. The same happened to DnB, it relyed too much on a certain sound, using the same sampled beats over and over. House is a little more diversified, but still relying on a sampled sound for its basis - the beats, which inevitably makes it mortal.

Minimal on the other hand, keeps on coming up over the years every now and then when the next trend-of-the-day dies. Why? Its very simple. It utilizes sound design for its basis - the beat. In other words - it's concentrated on creating a new foundation, a new beat, thus pushing the essential further.

The beat is what makes dance music. A sample-based style (techno, house, DnB...) in the common case uses a sampled beat (be it a drum machine one) and then concentrates on the 'music' on top of it. Minimal on the contrary, develops the beat itself, the only thing it deals with is how to make that foudation sound sweeter. Once that is achieved, it sounds so exciting that the rest of the track does not matter - you can put in bips, bleeps, clicks whatever and it still sounds ace! That is why the most successful minimal artists (only one example - Gaiser), are the ones that synthesize the beat themselves. This is what pushes sound further.

Unfortunately synthesizing beats, designing new (and good) kick-drums is not easy, and lots of artists would prefer to use samples instead, just jumping on the bandwagon using the same groove, but not the proper sound, thus flooding the scene with their sh!t, making fools wonder what the next 'trend' is.

And finally, that crackwhore Miss Kittin doesnt know what she's talking about. Desinging kick drums is very hard, and if some of them sound weak, thats no reason to tell people to stop doing it and just use samples instead. I would like to know how many tracks she 'produced' with her own kick drum. And even if she did (which i highly doubt) that still does not put her in the position to try and stop people from sound design. 'Playing music from next year'???? Aint that a stupid bitch.

excuse my rudeness.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

i kind of hear what Kittin is saying; why fck around when there is The 909 Kick? she's still crap tho.

anyhow, this year... what will happen is this: people will wake up and realise that they are dancing to trance, the very genre they detest. They will then want some good old meaty techno music or some proper house again and all this bollox over-produced progressive trancey rubbish that keeps annoying me will go away (with Tiesto). The 'minimal' tag will no longer be acceptable - for me it now means boring and samey (and a sly way for producers and djs to push trance at parties).

it is true that production quality has really increased a lot lately - but at the same time people have lost sight of the feeling that used to be present, and the fact that the 909 kick is a pretty efficient dancefloor tool. so if they get back on track and apply this production excellence to some more reduced dance music everything should be pretty tasty. i hope.
plusplus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by plusplus »

I'm quite happy @ 128. 8)
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Thank the Lord for this thread. "Freaky House" and Chicago fckin kickass Techno are def on the comeback, and that in combination with some sweet mnml is a match made in heaven! Just listen to Raresh's set!

Check check ch ch ch Check check ch ch ch Check check ch ch ch Check dis OUT!
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I just say: Three weeks and Tresor is back. Housey house upstairs and bangin' techno downstairs. That's how it's always supposed to be. Minimal isn't a genre like house or techno, it's just a way of doing house or techno.

Why trying ty establish minimal as a genre, it had to be ripped of its house and techno traces, and what's left is close to nothing.

For me I like some moody deep house on 115 bpm as much as I like some fast banging techno. I love the Manmadesience LP on Philpot as much as I'd love to play my old Drumcode records again! (Now that I know how to play three decks it's a shame there's no loop techno around anymore :wink: )

So to me the question is not whether it will go to house or techno again, cause I want both!

BTW what about electro? Now that they repressed the Dopplereffekt lp I want an oldschool electro revival as well (and no more stupid electro house bullshit!)
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Red Kite wrote: BTW what about electro? Now that they repressed the Dopplereffekt lp I want an oldschool electro revival as well (and no more stupid electro house bullshit!)
Yeah Louderbach did a remix of Cybotron's Clear which should be out soon! I have the original and this should be good too.