Are you a Music-Pirate??

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I loot, kill, rape and download music - I'm a fucking pirate.

(though recently, doe to some money issues, I've managed to order me some thick black plastic discs - whatever the fck their called)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i'm realyl eagar to hear your opinions about people who download from soulseek or any other client and then buy the actual record.. what does that make them, a music pirate or not?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

def not

I concider actually pirating when ure making profit with your nicked music
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Bambaata
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bambaata »

I use Soulseek quite a bit but only to find new music, since i started using soulseek my spending on vinyl has dramatically increased. I never think of haveing that mp3 as owning it, anything i like i have to buy. Ive spent €1700/1800 since February/March on vinyl and id never have spent so much if i didnt have access to the mp3!! When i play out and havent got the vinyl yet i get it from beatport or wherever i can find it. I dont see myself as a pure puirate and i feel it has both negative and positive effects buit i dont see the way i do it as haveing negative effects, afterall im buying all i like (which is makeing me broke but happy)
plusplus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by plusplus »

I download and if I like the music I go out and buy the vinyl. Haven't bought a CD for ages (barely download CDs either). I like being ahead of my record store here in downloading so I know which vinyl I'm gonna get (for sure) when they finally come out cause I started out buying lots of vinyls that I've just kind of abandoned and it's money down the drain. Lots of money!! I just can't afford it (vinyls are 10€+ and I'm a student I don't have my own income and don't want to download "legally" I'd rather get them physically at the store and not download them from beatport either.)

So yes, I'm a "music pirate," but I see to support the artists I like and wouldn't play out a track in a club that I haven't paid for or an unreleased downloaded version that I don't have the right to use (but I'm not professional so thats a rare occasion anyway). If I'd make my 1000€ / gig I'd definitely buy much more vinyl straight ahead... so, personally I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
plusplus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by plusplus »

TiEZ wrote:the industry thinks, that all customer should be listeners only, but thats sucks and kill the culture. but none notices it yet.

german interview with Lawrence Lessig

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news/kultur/664324.html
SUPER Artikel/Interview!!
(btw: Apple has learned; iTunes is going DRM free soon...)
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

plusplus wrote:(btw: Apple has learned; iTunes is going DRM free soon...)
How awesome! DRM is crap
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Only pirates I know are the people behind my Visa card!