mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Little mistake, didn't mean to post :wink:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

have been reading this entire topic just now (yes, I have a lot of work :wink: ).

I've read here and there that some people see vinyl as being the ideal tool to keeping illegal promo-distribution to a minimum, but few seem to realize that it costs shitloads of money to get vinyl out, especially when the vinyl rips are out there almost faster then you can get your music out. Don't know about the rest, but 1500 euro's is gone quickly after sabam and the pressing plant have passed by, and if you are a really independent label that has to pay for everything yourself (production, promotion,...) vinyl promotion is sometimes hard to achieve. I've already given up the hope of making money, I'm already glad if we go breakeven in the end :)

why am I saying all this? I simply hope that people will realize soon that they have to stop downloading on slsk and alikes if they want to hear decent music from good artists. If this keeps going on, you'll be able to buy Britney Spears and 50Cent, but no other stuff because the small independent labels trying to give new innovating artists will be gone because it's not possible financially anymore to make vinyl.

I realize this is very naïve, but still, I hope dj's and reporters who get promotional stuff will stop ripping them and putting them on P2P networks, and that people will realize that in the end you are killing your favorite labels and artists.
No release = no money = no new gear or better equipment or more time to work on tracks = less good music around. Think about it :)

We also had to cancel one artist's release already because he had been posting all his tracks all over the net "to get feedback". Well, get feedback from a firend, a dj, your momma for all I care, but don't throw your stuff on the net unless you have no intentions to get it properly released. In the end, you only fck up your own chances to one day make a living of what you love to do.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Funny how everybody keeps bashing slsk here when there is a 5000-clicks-105-posts topic called mnml.nl @ slsk that consists only of posts like "I'm this and that at slsk, let's meet and share some sh!t".

It'd be almost funny if it weren't so sad! :cry:
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
svenlito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by svenlito »

Red Kite wrote:Funny how everybody keeps bashing slsk here when there is a 5000-clicks-105-posts topic called mnml.nl @ slsk that consists only of posts like "I'm this and that at slsk, let's meet and share some sht".

It'd be almost funny if it weren't so sad! :cry:
word!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

some people simply don't care about quality labels going out of business
a lot of people still don't understand that most labels don't make money and many many producers don't make money or very little

they don't understand that labels are in this for the music and are loosing a lot of money over this

and some people prefer to blame the industry instead of realizing that they're just being selfish and indifferent
fugazi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fugazi »

PsyTox wrote:probably their way of saying "this vinyl costs shitloads of money dudes, buy digital so we don't have to make extra costs, as an incentive you get three extra tracks". Marketing strategy :)
the best answer for all this discussion.

:arrow: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... c&start=15
lunatik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lunatik »

wow

as an artist/lblowner I would have to emphatically agree with pheek on this one..

If you have special tunes, its a serious judgement call abt whether you put it on a mix or just use it live/etc who should have it etc.. its always best not to give to anyone unless you have permission of the artist/lbl etc..

soulseek is really bad for music sales, it makes life difficult for label owneres to be sure.

one technique that I learned from some drum n bass label friends is to purposely spam soulseek with fake copies of your tunes, so that when people download them they get something unintended.. Such as a high pitched noise or clipped bass signal, or something less malicious..