Laptop opinion

- ask away
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

Red Kite wrote:You mean my xp software programs aren't running on vista? It's not downwards compatible? Then that's a good hint, thanx
Hardware mostly. Apparently Vista requires developers to certify their drivers and it's expensive and time consuming. Plus it's a 64bit OS and oodles of stuff haven't written drivers for this (Serato Scratch Live is a prime example).

Apparently (and i mean apparently, cos i'm no world famous commodore64 music producer like shadi) most musician-types are backing off from Vista until at least a service pack is released and most developers have jumped on board with their signed drivers.

... also if any of this is wrong then i apologise for talking out of my arse (which is indeed a talent i must say).
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

it's common knowledge to never jump into an os change, especially with microsoft.

wait a year at least, maybe more, maybe never.
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

i have a pc laptop right now.. and i'm not satisfied, mainly because it is a pain in the ass when i play live.
i want to move to MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo 2,0 Ghz, 1 GB of ram, 80 GB hdd (5400 rpm). this will cost me 1100 euro.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Bogdan wrote:i have a pc laptop right now.. and i'm not satisfied, mainly because it is a pain in the ass when i play live.
i want to move to MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo 2,0 Ghz, 1 GB of ram, 80 GB hdd (5400 rpm). this will cost me 1100 euro.
Can you tell me what''s wrong with your pc laptop? Why is it giving you trouble? What else do you use it for?

I'd like to keep it music-only, for everything else I have my home pc.

Btw what are your experiences with virtual pc for macbooks? I heard totally different stories from "drains too much recources" to "perfect solution", and I'm not really sure what I should make of it.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

There's no virtual pc for macbooks, that was an emulator for the PowerPC cpu.
On the Intel macs you can simply install windows XP along with os X and choose at boot up which one to load.
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

To shed some light on this. It really doesn't matter, when it comes to a computer when producing. I have used a pc for some time and now I use Mac. I will not go back to windows ever!!! That is personal choice. My group has also been using 3 Mac synced together for 5 hours, no glitches. I have also seen people use pc for ours and no glitches.

The thing to know is that it doesn't really matter what you use to produce music. You can pick up a guitar and produce. It just comes down to the sound of the guitar that will come out in the recordings.

The best way that I can describe it is a Mac works the way you want to and a PC has to work the way it wants you to. Also, I am sorry that someones computer crashed during a live show. Please list what you were using while it was performing. If you were using a cracked piece of software on the computer it's not the Mac os's fault.

Also, look at the different allocation of Ram on the PC and a Mac. A PC allocates ram to the whole computer and all the programs and apps that are running at the same time. So, they are all sharing the same Ram. Where as on a Mac it allocates the ram to each program, app and the OS separately so if you have one program go down, your whole computer does not go down.

Hopefully this helps. I have found I don't waste as much time trying to get stuff done when I am on my Mac. I just get stuff done.

But again, by having one or the other is not going to help you write music. You can use your own brain computer for that.
Reborn in Detroit
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I got a mac, shame there isnt pro evo for it!!
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

Red Kite wrote:
Bogdan wrote:i have a pc laptop right now.. and i'm not satisfied, mainly because it is a pain in the ass when i play live.
Can you tell me what''s wrong with your pc laptop? Why is it giving you trouble? What else do you use it for?

I'd like to keep it music-only, for everything else I have my home pc.

Btw what are your experiences with virtual pc for macbooks? I heard totally different stories from "drains too much recources" to "perfect solution", and I'm not really sure what I should make of it.
I use my pc laptop just for music production and playing live. and some browsing, instant messaging etc. I know how to keep a pc safe, so its not a problem of stupid software that was mentioned here before.
But i have problems when playing in the club.. because of the heat etc.. the pc laptop is not so stable in the club. i had some bad experiences with it (shut off, block, not responding etc)

So the problem here is a stable computer, that you can rely on when playing in club environment. I choose to go Mac because they are very stable.. the OS is more easy to use, i don't have the windows problems, viruses or other bugs.