Laptop opinion

- ask away
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

<i>Also along the same lines... if you ever play live..... NEVER bring a pc on stage. That's screaming potential embarassment... imagine you've been playing for 20 minutes and BAM, your computer perminately stops working.</i>

The reason PC's get a bad name is because people install a bunch of games, browse the web with explorer and add on a bunch of other non-production software that bogs the OS down because it automatically runs in the background.

If you get a copy of XP SP2, keep your box off the web, and avoid installing a bunch of non-essential bloatware, your pc will not give you any problems.

I think Mac's are dope and I plan on buying one this year. However, I don't think anyone is an idiot because they use a pc. I have been using xp for the last 2 years, and the few times it has crashed(like 3 times in 2 plus years) is because ableton did not want to play nice with a third party vst. That isn't windows fault, and it isn't a situation that would ever arise in a live context.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
Robot Criminal wrote:its not glitchy if u know how to use it. thats it

That is BULLSHIT.

Why should someone "know how to use it?"
You shouldn't have to do anything special to use a computer. Computers are just meant to work. Microsoft and PCs have never worked properly. Not once in history since the introduction of windows, and ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything involving media (sound/music and video).

This is a one sided debate. On one hand you have PC owners who are angry and defensive because they spent thousands of dollars for a crappy computer that doesn't work. They will tell you that you are ignorant and that all the shitty computers aren't shitty... that you just "don't know what you're doing".

On the other hand you have people who bought a good computer. One that just works. And they spend all the time they would have spent getting angry at crashing computers finishing tracks in the studio instead. Almost all professionals use a mac and it isn't anything to do with it being "pretty." If you're going to spend money at all, do not be a moron and throw money down the toilet. Because that's what you'll end up doing with your computer if you buy a pc.

Also along the same lines... if you ever play live..... NEVER bring a pc on stage. That's screaming potential embarassment... imagine you've been playing for 20 minutes and BAM, your computer perminately stops working.
That is BULLSHIT.

I use exclusively PC for all my production work and have almost no problem with them. I have a different view on it. I would rather spend $700 on a computer that is cheap to upgrade and can be built specificly to handle the very job i got it for without all the extra useless bells and whistels than buying a $2000 shiny box. My issue isn't with the quality of the machine because you can build a pc that will keep up with any mac on the market. My issue is that i feel the Mac is ripping off everybody and scamming them for loot. i would rather take my left over cash and buy something else with it. I don't need to buy the shiny box, i have a large enough penis already. I havn't had enough issues with my pc to justify buying a mac. Maybe in the future that will change but as of right now i'm not convinced.

This one is right up there with hardware vs. software for music production debate on my list of useless arguments.
The equipment you use does not make your beat more funky. Machines are all souless, the funk lies within the user. If your track ain't hot and you don't know why then look in the mirror.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Yikes! :shock: You're really not much help when you just keep on the Microsoft VS Appleton bashing...

I just wanted to know what I should consider when I get myself a pc laptop for music making and not why a mac sucks better dck than a pc...

It's really strange, cuz I don't think I've gotten into this war if I asked: I wanna buy I mac, what should I consider?
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

http://www.carillonusa.com/clnweb/mobile.jsp

This is what marc ashken uses, he reckens its sh!t hot! i might be getting one pretty soon.
be~~
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by be~~ »

::BLM:: wrote:http://www.carillonusa.com/clnweb/mobile.jsp

This is what marc ashken uses, he reckens its sht hot! i might be getting one pretty soon.

the laptop body looks identical to my Rock, but for the same price my Rock has a better spec, its the P665-T76

see for yourself

http://rockdirect.com/viewNotebook.php? ... ASUS%20665
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

what about the vaio???
i have a vgn-fe31h...that i got for 1.380 euros...
plusplus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by plusplus »

jaco wrote:what about the vaio???
i have a vgn-fe31h...that i got for 1.380 euros...
lol Vaio... sorry... if you're going to have such a budget get a Mac.

It's really a mystery to me how people can use PCs; they're completely un-userfriendly. I've had experience with both PCs and Macs and especially in the creative world using a PC seems a little strange (?). Almost all professionals use Mac; there must be a reason for that... as said before by others in the thread.

Get a MacBook Pro if you can afford it. It's sure worth the investment and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. Many of my friends that used to be die-hard PC users and put Mac down now own a Mac and are very happy with it.

Microsoft Windows is a joke. Office and xBox 360 are, however, solid products. Only, those won't get you anywhere in producing. :)

Greets,
++
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

i use this analogy...

macs are like bmw's. slick, fast, loaded with fancy features, and expensive.

pc's are like classic cars. not so slick, heavy and you need to know a lot to make them run great. but if you're smart they can beat a bmw, and they can be a lot cheaper.

i've used pc's for most of my life, and even through some frustrating times, i still think that xp is a very solid os.

recently a friend bought a macbook with 10.4.8 to use with torq.(glad it wasnt 10.4.9, because torq doesnt run on that build yet) it was my first serious use of a mac, and i have to say, it was pretty slick. battery life was great. even the tiny 13" screen seemed nice due to the cinema ratio.

but it did crash during our show, so i'm still not fully sold on osx. and for $1600 you could have bought 2 pc's with 15" screens and higher specs.

they're pluses to both. if you have the budget get a mac. if you're more DIY get a pc.

and i dont really buy the whole macs are better for multimedia, i mean its all the same software, so how would it matter. it's all about spec and know-how, imo.