ABLETON SOUND PROBLEMS

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

s.k. wrote:In Ableton: Options / CPU / Plugin Buffer Size

Raise the buffer size seting. Adjust it so it doesnt glitch when you have about 5 midi tracks. I wonder what the hell for you need 5 midi tracks anyway but thats just me.
im sometimes running 30 midi tracks in cubase, what do you mean ?
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hey there stevo, i like your stuff on mindtours :)

taking in consideration your notorious all-hardware setup, i suppose the number of vsti's you control with that many midi tracks is say, zero? i mean i dont know what kind of a monster pc one would need in order to have even 15 vstis running simultaneously, so considering the G3, that was kinda my point.

i didnt mean to diss midi as it may have sounded, its just that in a closed DAW world (which i maybe wrongly assumed was Doppio's case) it kinda loses some of its power. me personally, i was never into doing everything live but thats just my way of working and i respect anyone else's too. i do like to chain drum machines, and i never would give up playing something real, but i record the stuff as audio parts, so later in the software sequencer theres not much midi going on. so yeah, many different workstyles, i guess i was talking only from my bias..
Doppio Malto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Doppio Malto »

fair point man, thats a good way to go about it, but i like to be able to use the midi effects on ableton, so thats why i don't save everything as audio files, but for percussion an stuff, good way of doing things.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ABLETON SOUND PROBLEMS

Post by hydrogen »

Doppio Malto wrote:
And finally, Do you think a pretty high spec apple laptop (1gb ram+ )
would be enough to run programme like abelton to there full capacity?
IMO, You'll never have enough CPU. The more CPU the more processor you can spend using higher quality reverbs, bloated VSTi's that sound truly amazing.

If you want something that runs fast try reason. If you weren't on mac I'd also recommend buzz. VST's are just CPU heavy.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

What version of osx are you running? If it is osx I would recommend more ram and you could benifit from turning certain functions off like widgets. Yes you can turn dashboard off and it eats up about 5% to 15% of your ram at any given time. The easiest way to do this is from terminal. You can find the easy code to do this on the web. I have it written down somewhere if anyone really wants this info. The ram will help your vsts etc (reverbs) on processing. YOu should look at getting some third party ram and maybe add a gig or so. Also don't run other apps etc (you should know that). I don't know if a new computer is always the answer because i see bad ass producers on g3 laptops all the time. But for newer versions of live It would only help. Right now the dual g4 machines are getting cheaper online so its worth looking at.