Pioneers of electronic music Vol. 1 - Richie Hawtin - DVD

- open
ronaldk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ronaldk »

my favorite moment was to see Derrick May talk about Richie in the way that he did. it was very refreshing.

"i remember the first time i met richie. he was a skinny little white boy, very jumpy..."

i think it's funny since these days everyone is all over Richie, basically, worshiping him. it's not to say he hasn't earned it, but it was a nice reminder that a handful of people from back in the day still consider him just a guy who was doing his thing.

i really loved Richie's personal interventions in the documentary as well. they gave a more realistic, and human side to him, as opposed to the hyped up image everyone seems to think is the real thing.
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i-am-an-exit »

Finally got to see it. I thought this documentary was excellent. There was a great balance between documenting his music, the labels, the gigs, rise to acclaim and his personal life. Not to mention some very insightful information about the seminal detroit scene. And its always refreshing to see someone with that stature still being a nice, genial and down to earth person.

If I had three hands I'd give you three thumbs up.
stringfello
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stringfello »

I also think it was a great vid. He was young, new what he wanted and went after it. I can't fault him for that. I also think that it is a great video about the 90's techno scene. I feel that in america we really have lost that magic.
Reborn in Detroit