Noisy PC Fan

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Noisy PC Fan

Post by s.k. »

My PC has a quite noisy fan and this is a problem when i want to monitor real soft. Can someone please recommend a solution for this - maybe a special quiet fan or a special PC-case made for studio use.. Have any of you experienced that problem and how do you deal with it? Help appreciated.
kahl_s
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kahl_s »

zalman fans are good, reliable and silent.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

boy was that quick :)

thx staffan
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I'm a big fan of the SilenX (silenx.com) case fans myself. They also come with rubber grommets for mounting, so you don't have to worry about them making the case vibrate.

If it turns out that you get that solved and want to make other noisy things quiet (power supply, heatsink fan, etc.), check out silentpcreview.com. They've got great reviews.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

brianc wrote:If it turns out that you get that solved and want to make other noisy things quiet (power supply, heatsink fan, etc.)......

God forbid! :lol: thx man good advice too will check them out
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

After doing some research, it turns out brainc is right, and replacing the fan would not solve the problem completely. So i want to ask, do i need to replace everything (power supply, power fan, CPU fan and the case)? That would be kinda expensive you know..

My question is, if i buy a silent case, would that be enough? Or maybe a silent case + a silent fan? Or i simply have to replace everything of the above mentioned :?

Ok i just realized the noisy fan is actually part of the power supply, so my last question was pretty lame. Im buying a new power supply, thx for the info guys :)
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

well, you're wandering into dangerous territory. once you start changing things, you'll start noticing and obsessing over the other parts. :) from my experience, the three loudest things are power supply fans, cpu heatsink fans, and hard drives.

going with a case will make a difference, especially since it would probably come with its own case fans that are known to be pretty quiet. if it comes with its own power supply, even better. the antec sonata is a case that people really liked, although i haven't looked into it in a year or two.