Steve Reich

Techris
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Steve Reich

Post by Techris »

Steve Reich's music has been influential to composers all over the world. He is a leading pioneer of Minimalism, having in his youth broken away from the "establishment" that was serialism. His music is known for steady pulse, repetition, and a fascination with canons; it combines rigorous structures with propulsive rhythms and seductive instrumental colour. It also embraces harmonies of non-Western and American vernacular music (especially jazz) - his studies have included the Gamelan, African drumming (at the University of Ghana), and traditional forms of chanting the Hebrew scriptures.

"I think all music is ethnic music... Every place has its own musical traditions, and this has a lot to do with how things generally sound," he declares.

Different Trains and Music for 18 Musicians have each earned him Grammy awards, and his "documentary video opera" works - The Cave and Three Tales - done in collaboration with video artist Beryl Korot - have expanded the boundaries of the operatic medium, and may well set a trend for opera of the future!
df
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by df »

Piano Phase is epical!!!
keinzweiter
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by keinzweiter »

Steve Reich is one of the founders of minimal music. I love the project with Pat Metheny.
oki
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oki »

drumming is my favorite piece
going to see it performed in brussels in a few weeks
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

He's amazing! I didn't know much about him but bought a few records of his music on eBay and I was so impressed! I especially love "Tehellim" which sounds a bit like Philip Glass, only better!

I think he must have had a big inluence on Ricardo Villalobos.