(techno) Matt DuBois - "Sexual Predator"

- music
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Haha, credit_argo :D

Not bad tracks, but like mentioned before there's a bit too much going on at the same time. Sounds a bit chaotic.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

Sexual predator = No harmony.

Sorry man, back to the drawing board.
mattdubois
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattdubois »

I love this forum! (specifically because I'm not "mnml")

so when Richie did that millenium NYE event in france and used only the locked groove at the end of a record for the audio part of the installation like the watershed moment for the mnml scene?
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

yup harmony is the key part..... try this... start a song with a kick and a hat.... then try a synth using two or three notes.... then have a different synth using the same notes except up or down an octave... then mess arround with note placements.... if parts flow together neatly and nicelly and you use for example delays you only need 2-3 elements in a minimal song (drums and two synths) and then samples....

anyways for a good harmony example listen to my two track drum n bass tease... http://myspace.com/rusostyle I know it's not minimal but it will show you how three elements(per song) plus a carefully tweaked delay can make some tremendously evolving sounds...

ps check out my mnml song, anti gravity :) tricky part about minimal is actually focusing on letting go of elements and using bleeps and gongs to create melody.... I always saw good minimal sample based... for example try to find this song on beatport.com called magda had a little troll by magda.... khehe in my opinion the most skilled mnml track of all times.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

credit_agro wrote:
mattdubois wrote:thank you for the feedback! I have always wished I was more minimal...I try, but always end up with too much and then try to go back and remove but know that there is always more that can be taken out....thanks again for the suggestions....

actually, "In Somnia Now" was released on some little compilation a few years back that included Steve Stoll and a bunch of nobodies like me, so it might be something I just retire as "early work" that could have been more....
Ok, but all your tracks seem to suffer the same problems. Most notably too much going on.
I also should point out that when listening to these tracks I listened to them for what they are or more specifically what they are meant to be which is techno rather than minimal. So when I say too much going on I mean from even a techno POV. What im trying to say is... its nothing to do with trying to be minimal when I say theres too much going on.
mattdubois
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattdubois »

check out the new track I just posted....talk about too much going on, this one is got that nailed and I freakin love it....what can I say, I get bored easily; if I could be like any producer out there it'd be Richard James without a doubt and I would try to create the craziest drill and bass to melt brains with