Jay Haze interview on RA

- open
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

john clees wrote:I thought RA attempts at certain sentances in large text was an invisible vindictive cheapshot to draw attention to negative things..

thats their marketing I suppose....
that's probably true they know about jay haze's reputation so will put a spin on what he says
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Matt du Jardin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Matt du Jardin »

that's probably true they know about jay haze's reputation so will put a spin on what he says
I'm sure he had to give the green light for it to be published or not though so that nullifies that. It’s not like RA are some glossy magazine making decent money off a few naughty words in an interview.
peter glitch and crackle
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by peter glitch and crackle »

i disagree with you barem,
music is a an expression from within, everything that happens to a person is revealed in their music, especially if the artist is passionate! which of course we can see here haze is! this to me makes the music even more special.
also when you say about the hard time in Argentina, yes i believe you.
but that is not the point is it? the point is more about someones personal struggle. it is obvious jay went through some really rough things, from abusive home life, to street life(there is no point to be judgmental about someone else's past, that is something that only the individual can truly understand.you can try to relate but thats it) also it should be added that his studio bruned down before this interview we are talking about.
if you cant separate someones personality and their music, maybe you should take another look, because music is soo much more than a single persons attitude. i know from experience that the best musicians tend to be the craziest assholes in the world.
(and to barem, you comments made me understand a bit more about your music in a way)
i know it might sound biased, because haze is my fav producer out there, but i think you are all seeing too much into an interview that really isn't that bad. i also think you are not realizing the twists that media put on things. media is still a business, and honestly speaking from the story i read here, i will be the first one on this board to actually say it
if you read this jay

"good job, it looks like you have done well for yourself considering the circumstances and i wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future!"

i will further deepen the amusement of other people, but i actually kind of find the whole story moving, and motivational.
my guess is there are too many big egos here to think the same.
or maybe i am just the kind of guy who is down for the underdog!
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

dunno if someone has given the link to part 2:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.asp?id=8513
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
::: b a r e m :::
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ::: b a r e m ::: »

I'll keep some of your opinions in mind, Peter, but I won't keep talking about this after this reply... I'll try to use my time for something more important...

I never tried to compare my situation with his... I'm sure it was really hard, and I'm happy to know that he went over it...

BUT... I just wanted to make a point. In my opinion, if you're a good musician you don't need to mention how strong you are, how shitty your life was, the great person you are, all the famous people you "helped", etc. on every interview you make. that's all...

also... many great artists that are against the hype would be working 8hs a day on jobs they would hate, if it wasn't in part for the hype... So what are we talking about? we take advantage of the hype to make money and travel around but then we prettend to be cool underground artists??
How many artists during the past 2 years had the chance to visit places they would have never gone for playing music before? I think many...

and to finish... I wrote 2 msgs on this thread saying things that i don't like about something without dropping names, or being disrespectful to other people's work... of course this will have no repercusion, but WHO CARES?! :wink:
Last edited by ::: b a r e m ::: on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
inesb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by inesb »

::: b a r e m ::: wrote: many great artists that are against the hype would be working 8hs a day on jobs they would hate, if it wasn't in part for the hype... we take advantage of the hype to make money and travel around but then we prettend to be cool underground artists??
Good point!

J Haze, come to visit our slums and give inspirational discourses !

Funny that he thinks he knows THE truth... The one and only one, and he can grasp it ! Maybe he should take a scientific career instead.

And BTW, I hated that "boy vs. girl" music, suggesting geek vs. sexy... gangsta rap attitude.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Like JPLS said, Jay spent more than half of this interview talking sh!t about JPLS, Houle and M_nus.

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't realize that the reason M_nus is so popular is because they produce the kind of music people want to hear. Bay of Figs a piece of sh!t? That track is clearly one of the most fun of 2006. Thanks for telling us how you threw it against the wall to break it. You disliked it that much? Very mature.

IMO it all comes down to this:

The techno world blew past Jay years ago and he just flat out can't keep up with guys like Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli. These are the guys who are pushing techno right now. Jay's sound is weak, and he's grasping at anything he can to try to become the next big thing. And that will be his downfall.

Either come to grips with reality and admit you aren't anywhere near the forefront and do something else, or start making good music.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

@Barem: One thing you're forgetting is that some people like to learn the background of musicians they enjoy. Some people may consider Jay Haze to be a great musician. How did get that way? What was his inspiration or what did he go through in life to develop his sound? Some people are interested in learning about the questions. If he would have spent the whole interview talking about how he makes his music or what gear he is into, it would have been the most boring read in ages.

I think part of the reason everybody went nuts for the Richie Hawtin Slices documentary is because they got an insight to the human side of Hawtin, not the music/marketing machine we always see. Most Hawtin interviews are very predictable, as its him speaking about whatever CD or hardware he is getting paid to endorse these days. People like hearing about what makes their favorite musicians tick!
JackNine wrote:IMO it all comes down to this:

The techno world blew past Jay years ago and he just flat out can't keep up with guys like Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli. These are the guys who are pushing techno right now. Jay's sound is weak, and he's grasping at anything he can to try to become the next big thing. And that will be his downfall.

Either come to grips with reality and admit you aren't anywhere near the forefront and do something else, or start making good music.
Why does everyone feel that in order to stay relevant in music, you have to work hard to stay in the forefront? Why can't an artist work and travel at the pace he or she desires? Maybe Haze is happy with the level he is at, and he's not worried about bigger success or monster record deals with M-nus.

I like the fact that you mention artists like "Sleeparchive, Tractile, Massi DL, or Franco Cinelli" and how Jay can't keep up with them. I think all those guys are good producers too (aside from Franco), but aside from some Sleeparchive tracks here or there, all of that sh!t won't even be memorable in 2-3 years time, just as half the drumtracks from 2000-2004 are lost in history.