Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

Logic Express

lately I've just been sequencing midi with the MPC 1000

running audio through hardware compressors

into a mixer

and recording the final signal into the computer...

8)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

[quote="relative q
That's funny... Nearly everyone I know who has a professional studio thinks Sonar is crap, and uses Pro Tools and Cubase SX/Nuendo. I remember Cakewalk's old MIDI sequencers back in the day were pretty awful.[/quote]

Nuendo is ok if you plan on doing video as well but Nuando and Pro Tools are both major pain in the ass to use. Say what you want about the midi all i can say is ai disagree completely and no matter what you're using nothing but sonar has something as sick as CAL for midi......nothing.

Cubase is good and had the upperhand for a while with the way it handled vsts. For a long while sonar used only direct x plugins and in order to use vsts you had to run them through another program that came with it called "cakewalk vst adapter". Automating them was possible on all of them but it wasn't very intuitive. Version 3 of sonar was good and was ahead of allot of the other programs at the time with editing and time-synching loops and whatnot. Versions 4 and 5 were sh!t and super buggy. Sonar 6 on the other hand has everything and is easier to use than any of those other programs and is better on cpu than any of them. If your still used to the menu setups on Nuendo, Cubase, Logic and pro-tools sonar has a feature where you can set the menus to be set up in the exact same manner as any of those programs so0 switching over won't be such a shock. The whole program can be customised to look like any of them as well, they even have skins that are in the style of ableton. The only drawback i'v seen is that you can't sidechain compressors and stuff in the same manner as ableton and cubase which i think is retarted, you have to do it the old fashioned way with busses but they say that will be one of the fixed things in the next update.
Sonar is only available for PC, sorry to confuse any of the mac users. Logic would definitly be the one i picked if i had a mac.
Everybody that i'v told to try sonar after using pro-tools or the cubase programs have made the complete switch and love it. I use ableton as well when i need a loop player as a vst and i'v used it on occasion for remixing. I still say it's the best looping tool on the market.
Oh well...whateverthefuck try anything you like as long as you have fun with it, but after years of doing this sh!t and trying everything this is what i settled on.
Decepto
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Decepto »

Torque wrote:I'v said it a billion times and i'll say it a billion more..... Cakewalk Sonar is a fucking monster and is a step ahead of everybody on midi for linking in outboard gear. They've been doing this sht forever and basicly have everything on lock. If you are serious about producing music you basicly only have two choices, It's either Pro-Tools or Cakewalk Sonar because they are the two that are in the majority of studios. Cakewalk is the better of the two because it is easy to use and is compatible with everything. It is a monster and makes Ableton look like a toy.
If you've got outboard gear, go with cakewalk. Sonar is an awesome sequencer.

If you're going with a full software setup, go ableton.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

i've heard some pretty good things about Cakewalk Sonar 6 too. I use cubase, ableton and protools for film.. i just wish i could have everything in one package. I have been looking at giving sonar a shot since 6.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

if i'm not mistaken i think sonar does video as well
i'v never used that feature though
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

i use two different setups.

one is all hardware: drummachines and hardware synths. no PC involved. only at the last stage, i record into my audio editor.

the other is all software: Reason, Live and some VSTs.

I switch between the two. When i get bored of staring at the PC screen, i will use only hardware for some time. When i get stuck with the hw, i change back to the PC.

This realy helped me to avoid "writer-blocks" and everytime i switch i have so many new ideas.

it's a bit like the sports thing, when you train your second hand, your main hand will get better too.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

I use FL Studio together with some standalone apps for beatprogramming (Beatcraft) and generating sounds and noises (Draw The Sound and Fm Dreams Wave).

Often a session starts in one of those three apps where I mess around until I have something that's worth expanding upon. Then it's on to FL where I start to load the sampler with sounds or lay out the beats I programmed. Next is getting the bass right, which I more and more use FLs 3xOsc for. Simple, but very nice for basslines. If I reach for other synths during this initial stage, I tend to fiddle around too much, imo it's better to get on with it...

At first I considered my setup as a temporary solution before I got some 'real' gear, but since then I've heard enough good FL productions to stop worrying about it... A nice analogue synth would be nice though, at least for variyng my work method a bit :)
sparticus_lives
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sparticus_lives »

Everything depends upon execution, having just a vision is no solution.