new jay haze video- phat and chunky beeeyotches

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

were you looking for feedback..... or just sharing...?
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Huh, well, sounds like some Goldchains without Kit Clayton on the production and without the flow.
Guess it's just not my thing, worth the try anyway, you might get some airplay on Viva with this one.
cap'n can't get right
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cap'n can't get right »

the lyrics have a message and are reminiscent of mid 90's east coast hip hop (the best kind of hip hop imo) and not, certainly not gangsta tango!....but the music is kinda gangsta-ish. i much prefer the jazz infused samples and organic kicks and snares of 90s hip hop - pre puffy and jay z. basically groups like smiff n wesson and tribe. still jay, i like your steez. the dude has balls to put himself out there doing something he enjoys. rezpekt!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

keep making techno sir. the bass around 1:57 mark is the highlight of the track imo. the rest...don't know. i don't feel theinstrumental with the lyrics.
Last edited by plaster on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
pre-amp tango
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pre-amp tango »

cap'n can't get right wrote:the lyrics have a message and are reminiscent of mid 90's east coast hip hop (the best kind of hip hop imo) and not, certainly not gangsta tango
did i say anything about the lyrics?
do you think each mnml.nl member is a native english speaker and understands all that slangy rap-thing (and cares about lyrics)?
is this a hiphop expert forum?

i'd say "no. no. no." ;)

apart from that: i do like mid90s jazzy hiphop - only the music - i don't give a damn for any lyrics. for me they're only another instrument and have the same message as a bass drum or a guitar.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

pre-amp tango wrote:
cap'n can't get right wrote:the lyrics have a message and are reminiscent of mid 90's east coast hip hop (the best kind of hip hop imo) and not, certainly not gangsta tango
do you think each mnml.nl member is a native english speaker and understands all that slangy rap-thing (and cares about lyrics)?

i'd say "no. no. no." ;)

apart from that: i do like mid90s jazzy hiphop - only the music - i don't give a damn for any lyrics. for me they're only another instrument and have the same message as a bass drum or a guitar.

that's what you get when you think with your own head.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
cap'n can't get right
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cap'n can't get right »

plaster wrote:
pre-amp tango wrote:

i'd say "no. no. no." ;)

that's what you get when you think with your own head.
it sounds like a rant to me.

for us that do understand the lyrics its a pretty big part. i hope you don't mind. i think he deserves some credit for putting himself out there and there are parts of the track that i like.

fair enough. you don't like the music. you're entitled. we get it.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

I have always been interested in bridging the gap between house/techno and hip hop. Occasionally there will be a track that attempts to do it and sometimes does it well. I wonder why this type of thing is not done more often.

About the track: overall it has a very dark sinister sound to it, I think that might be why pre-amp-tango said it sounds gangsta. The lyrics certainly are not gangsta, but you could overlay eazy-e acapella over it and it would sound natural. the rapper in the video expresses a macho bravado attitude with his body language. this is ironic to me because the title is "keep it real" but yet me and my friends who watched it do not feel the rapper is genuinely a tough guy. these lyrics should not be shouted, they should be chilled a bit more.

Anyway, here is an example of a hiphop hybrid I discovered recently. I'd like to see more of this kind of music but it's hard to find ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PEXsD_mDAr4