Souncards for PC Laptops

- ask away
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Souncards for PC Laptops

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Can some folk please recommend some good value soundcards for laptops that can do the job LIVE (e.g. utilising mainly Ableton) as well as in the studio? (Some of the MOTU units look good) Thx.
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

The M-Audio range of firewire boxes are good.
I've used the FW410 a few times, pretty solid. Do a bit of research on them if you decide to go the M-Audio route, they get varying reviews.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

digitalbunny wrote:The M-Audio range of firewire boxes are good.
I've used the FW410 a few times, pretty solid. Do a bit of research on them if you decide to go the M-Audio route, they get varying reviews.
i don't agree, if you're going to use a laptop, make sure the soundcard is balanced..
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

harass wrote:
i don't agree, if you're going to use a laptop, make sure the soundcard is balanced..
Like i said, they get varying reviews :)
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

harass wrote:
What is your recommendation(s)?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i'm prefering the one from tc.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Konnekt8
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Daniel Logikal wrote:
harass wrote:
I have a ground loop on my laptop when using unbalanced sound cards, not saying you will, but i think it's smart to try and keep everything balanced.

The above card would suit you, there was a review in computer music too. I saw a new one by mackie too. what os you running?
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

harass wrote:
Daniel Logikal wrote:
harass wrote:
I have a ground loop on my laptop when using unbalanced sound cards, not saying you will, but i think it's smart to try and keep everything balanced.

The above card would suit you, there was a review in computer music too. I saw a new one by mackie too. what os you running?
I'll be running a stripped-back version of Win XP Pro, with 3 partioned harddrives - one for system, one for performance (Serrato, Ableton Live etc) and one for production.

Its an IBM thinkpad z61m w/ intel duo core processor & 2 gig of RAM. I pick it up on Tuesday.