need some advice. SH-101 - Nord Lead2 - Mackie Onyx

- ask away
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

need some advice. SH-101 - Nord Lead2 - Mackie Onyx

Post by harass »

Just about to buy some new bits for my studio and need some advice. I'm looking at getting a ROLAND SH-101, Nord Lead 2 and a new console, Mackie Onyx 1220..

Has anyone had any experience with USB/Firewire mixers? What are the converters like? (Mackie Onyx 1220/Multimix)

And can someone please give me their opinion on the Nord Lead 2 and SH-101, or maybe suggest some alternatives?

Cheers
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ive got a couple of SH101's and a nord lead 1 and 3.
the nord 2 is an souped-up nord 1, and in my opinion sounds better than the 3.
the Nord 2 is probably one of the best sounding virtual analogues, better than the Access Virus (i have a virusb), but the virus is much more flexible.
if its 'close to analogue' sound youre after, the nord 2 is the better machine, and its ultra reliable and solid. (i bought my nord lead in 1995, and its never crashed once in 12 years)

sH101's are cool, they sound lush, but no midi, and no velocity sensitivity.
if you've already got gear with cv outs, no problem, otherwise you can trigger it with any short percussive sound thru the 'clk in socket' and run arpeggiated sequences.
ive done a really simple conversion on mine (takes 5 minutes with a soldiering iron) to convert the socket that normal links to the modulation handgrip thing, into a filter input, so you can use the 101 as an analogue filter for external sound sources.

go with it bro !
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

steevio wrote:ive got a couple of SH101's and a nord lead 1 and 3.
the nord 2 is an souped-up nord 1, and in my opinion sounds better than the 3.
the Nord 2 is probably one of the best sounding virtual analogues, better than the Access Virus (i have a virusb), but the virus is much more flexible.
if its 'close to analogue' sound youre after, the nord 2 is the better machine, and its ultra reliable and solid. (i bought my nord lead in 1995, and its never crashed once in 12 years)

sH101's are cool, they sound lush, but no midi, and no velocity sensitivity.
if you've already got gear with cv outs, no problem, otherwise you can trigger it with any short percussive sound thru the 'clk in socket' and run arpeggiated sequences.
ive done a really simple conversion on mine (takes 5 minutes with a soldiering iron) to convert the socket that normal links to the modulation handgrip thing, into a filter input, so you can use the 101 as an analogue filter for external sound sources.

go with it bro !
thanks dude
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

SH-101 is great!

Has a really pure and raw sound! the nord lead has a really static (elektronic) sound, for me. It really depends on what u like!
Succes,

Bob
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

sh-101 + nord 2 + onyx mixer = serious buisness.

you pretty much have all your bases covered with that set up.

sh-101 for fat bass, electro zaps, searing leads and fucked up lfo sounds

nord for pads, weird noises, and strings, etc.

the onyx mixers are pimp too.

what are you doing for drums? if you have the cash, the 101 and 808 get along like no other. even a $150 tr-606 will sync with the 101. instant electro bliss.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

I have a mackie onyx with fw mixer I use both live and in studio. Great mixer and works well with a mac...not so good with pc...too many hoops to jump through. takes 18 steps to install and then sometimes it disappears...(go mac). The other mixer I have for bedroom use is the alesis fw 16 i/o and it is really not bad...for 600 bucks it has been great...it has one little glitch..you have to turn it off before booting up and then turn it own...not a big deal...but the mack has better pre amps and I tend to lean towards it when recording instruments such as the sh101 you want. I would def get the fw for the onyx...well worth the extra investment. I want a 400f now for live use out of my laptop. has to be better than the m-audio fw410...I hate that thing!
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

steevio wrote:ive got a couple of SH101's
getting jealous...
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

532nm wrote:sh-101 + nord 2 + onyx mixer = serious buisness.

you pretty much have all your bases covered with that set up.

sh-101 for fat bass, electro zaps, searing leads and fucked up lfo sounds

nord for pads, weird noises, and strings, etc.

the onyx mixers are pimp too.

what are you doing for drums? if you have the cash, the 101 and 808 get along like no other. even a $150 tr-606 will sync with the 101. instant electro bliss.
was thinking about getting a Jomox XBase09 down the track, would love a machinedrum, but it's bit out of my price range, a virus ti would be mad too.