Couple of questions out of interest....

- ask away
Naughtius Maximus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Couple of questions out of interest....

Post by Naughtius Maximus »

Do you layer drums? I appreciate that its trying to be minimal but do you go for a big sound with sparse instruments?

When mastering your tracks, do you use a graphic EQ, compression or both? Do you draw out the sub like in drum and bass?

Just wondering really
m jaco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by m jaco »

I layer drums with mnml tracks but not too much..I also use graphic EQ
caemgen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by caemgen »

Layering can sound really good... For example layer a sample with fast attack with a sample that has less attack but more release: a short and snappy 909 kick drum with a nice deep subby 808 kick drum.
I also think it often sounds good when you layer samples that contrast with each other: synthetic sounds with "analog" sounds, high/low, soft/hard etc. Experiment...

My mastering chain is: multi-compression -> eq -> limiting.
When compressing I try to make the compressor pump in time with the music (but not too much so I won't destroy my mix). Sometimes I need to correct some frequencies with eq, but very little boosting or cutting, relatively wide bands and no more than 3 db cut or boost. At the end of the chain the limiter is set up to make the track as loud as is needed for the type of track I'm working on. A lot of tracks have like -10 db average loudness, so a lot of times I go for that.

I always try to have the mixdown as best sounding as possible so I won't have to correct too much with mastering. By no means do I think I can truly master tracks. Mastering is a true art and so is mixing. But I try and experiment :-).