How do I get my hands on promo's?

- open
Stan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How do I get my hands on promo's?

Post by Stan »

I would like to know how to get my hands on promo vinyl or cd. Because sometimes it takes a wile when the official release is released, and I often can't wait that long.

So, if anyone would be so kind telling me how to get them.

Many thx in advance! :)
keto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by keto »

juno sells them sometimes
mech84
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mech84 »

get a job at a record company, or a promotions company, or become a music journalist
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

some friends of me write reviews of records for both regular and online magazines, and they get a lot of stuff up front, so if you got talent for writing maybe that could be something for you. just beware that there are many other who probably wants to do the exact same thing for the exact same reason, so my guess is that if you're not good at writing, then the chances will be small
sampleslaya
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sampleslaya »

promos are getting harder and harder to come by, especially with the high price of putting out a vinyl release. lots of labels don't even send promos to distributors anymore, instead going with online samples of each release.
also (and please don't take this the wrong way- cuz theres no offense intended) if you have to ask how to get them, you're probobly not "important" enough to warrent receiving one unless your paying for it. I worked at a record store for 8+ years and interned at a major dance label before that and every year there were less and less whites, they're just not cost effective anymore.
In all honesty, its not like it used to be anyway with the wait between promo and final release, especially since getting something to an online store is alot easier and quicker than getting vinyl mastered and pressed.
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

you dont.
sylvie.foret
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sylvie.foret »

it's true actually--vinyl is HARD to come by. even writing reviews doesn't hook you up like it used to. i don't do it so much anymore, until about three years ago, every day the post would be full to overflowing with promo vinyl/cd--i totally took it for granted. i probably didn't listen to more than half of what came my way. and then, really quickly, i started getting only cds and mostly links in my email. to low bitrate mp3s, so i couldn't even play the tracks out. LAME. now the mp3s are better quality at least, but i decided that i'd rather play the music than write about it anyway.

but it's a good lesson if you're a new label--if you want someone to pay attention to you, send them the hard stuff!

one tactic i haven't tried yet--offer your favorite producers large quantities of chocolate, sexual favors, or even to clean their toilet for the rest of their life--and maybe they'll hook you up with a promo. maybe!
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

sylvie.foret wrote: one tactic i haven't tried yet--offer your favorite producers large quantities of chocolate, sexual favors, or even to clean their toilet for the rest of their life--and maybe they'll hook you up with a promo. maybe!

interesting suggestion ;)