Music & Art plus other stuff (title changed)

- ask away
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

the best thing i read so far
Not every track is sacred. If you started somethingand come to a place where you can't think of anything else to do but know the track isn't finished just delete the track or break it down to only the strongest one part and start over from the beginning. It's hard to part with something like that but for me it's what really made the difference.

it took me a long long long time to realize this.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

credit_agro wrote:
Have you just said something really obvious in the most complex way possible?
Possibly lol

To tell you the truth it's probably completely impossible to ever understand art at all in the way the artist does.

and yes,
science = rules
and basicly everybody knows the rules unless they aren't making an effort to pay attention.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

frustrartion is for everyone

with music i get completely frustrated and i wonder what is keeping me from that next level im trying to approach....its a level in my mind that rises as i learn something new or create something closer to my ideal sound....i dont know if i will ever be happy....im so far away

its exactly the same with visual art

i paint and do graphic design

Generally people are very impatient and expect a masterpiece right away or something that resembles a piece of art that most would agree is quality. I was the same way. I would sit and paint for days pushing paint around the canvas with no end. Then I stopped painting for a long time and studied painting, and drawing and more and more design and theory.

Now before I commit to a new canvas or am designing something i have already thought about what it looks like and what techniques im going to use to do it. You might wonder what room does this approach leave for spontainity, and i can say it leave alot. The more comfortable you are with what you are doing the better youll be at recognizing where a moment of spontainity is appropriate. I think that is key...Definetely

So what im saying is...know your tools...choose them wisely...make a plan ....stick to it....dont be afraid to change the plan a bit as you go along, but do not break the plan...it was a solid plan and one you put alot of time and effort into, and breaking it on a quick idea in your mind isnt good, and having that mentality...you might never finish anything or know anything is done because youll never know what it was you were trying to accomplish

these are some ideas that are in my head and some that i actually follow

sometimes i dont :)
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

credit_agro wrote:
Have you just said something really obvious in the most complex way possible?

Oh!... sometimes I need to be told things this way! (Thanks torque... good reminders in there... )

Wonderful thread... please continue.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

mlexicon wrote:frustrartion is for everyone

with music i get completely frustrated and i wonder what is keeping me from that next level im trying to approach....its a level in my mind that rises as i learn something new or create something closer to my ideal sound....i dont know if i will ever be happy....im so far away

its exactly the same with visual art

i paint and do graphic design

Generally people are very impatient and expect a masterpiece right away or something that resembles a piece of art that most would agree is quality. I was the same way. I would sit and paint for days pushing paint around the canvas with no end. Then I stopped painting for a long time and studied painting, and drawing and more and more design and theory.

Now before I commit to a new canvas or am designing something i have already thought about what it looks like and what techniques im going to use to do it. You might wonder what room does this approach leave for spontainity, and i can say it leave alot. The more comfortable you are with what you are doing the better youll be at recognizing where a moment of spontainity is appropriate. I think that is key...Definetely

So what im saying is...know your tools...choose them wisely...make a plan ....stick to it....dont be afraid to change the plan a bit as you go along, but do not break the plan...it was a solid plan and one you put alot of time and effort into, and breaking it on a quick idea in your mind isnt good, and having that mentality...you might never finish anything or know anything is done because youll never know what it was you were trying to accomplish

these are some ideas that are in my head and some that i actually follow

sometimes i dont :)
Good points. I can understand exactly where your coming from having some graphic design history myself though to me it seems impossible to have the bigger picture regarding a track in your mind until its almost complete as opposed to graphic design. This information is still very much applicable to me as in staying witn the idea you originally started developing from. Though its very difficult sometimes to not think "Ah, ill just try tweaking that bassline". This spells disaster usually and the damning thing is sometimes this is paramount to getting things to work in harmony. I suppose a huge part of making music and creative stuff in general is self discipline. In fact this may be the most important aspect of all. What do you think?