attention fellow producers..... rampant piracy

- wax
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

thats true!!!! if you compare the percent of the good music in the genre coming out commercially with the perfecnt of the good music that is coming out on netlabel, i think theres not alot of difference! Well maybe a little bit....... but still there is still also cool music on netlabels once in a while

dont forget the unfoundsound anniversery, and the new unfoundsound with barem and omar s remix? i think theyre great....

and igloo? great releases every time...
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

IGLOO!
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

idealstandard wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote: a small handful of releases in the past isn't the problem... people talk as if there's sooo much good free music out there... but there isn't. There's a small amount, and there's no steady stream of new stuff coming out that is good. Being able to name a couple releases doesn't prove differently. This is only a problem because people proposed netlabels as an alternative to what is available commercially - but what is available commercially is in abundance..
Agreed, but couldn't we say exactly the same thing about "what is available commercially"?
What I'm saying is that I didn't heard that much good music out there this year even if I paid for it...
Matter of taste, anyway...
i just mean that if you compare what is commercially available to what is available by netlabels, statistically speaking / without getting into "tastes", etc, almost everyone can concur that you are less likely to find a large amount of things they can actually enjoy that came from the free sources compared to what is available commercially.

and like I said before, there's no real "hits" that people can pick out from netlabels... I dont think I said it all sucks (maybe I did though :) ) but there definitaly isn't enough material out there for free that sticks out as being incredible or awestrikingly "chart material"

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

djreagen wrote:thats true!!!! if you compare the percent of the good music in the genre coming out commercially with the perfecnt of the good music that is coming out on netlabel, i think theres not alot of difference! Well maybe a little bit....... but still there is still also cool music on netlabels once in a while

dont forget the unfoundsound anniversery, and the new unfoundsound with barem and omar s remix? i think theyre great....

and igloo? great releases every time...
yeah -

i wasn't blown away but I did enjoy what i heard of the barem thing

idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote: i just mean that if you compare what is commercially available to what is available by netlabels, statistically speaking / without getting into "tastes", etc, almost everyone can concur that you are less likely to find a large amount of things they can actually enjoy that came from the free sources compared to what is available commercially.

and like I said before, there's no real "hits" that people can pick out from netlabels... I dont think I said it all sucks (maybe I did though :) ) but there definitaly isn't enough material out there for free that sticks out as being incredible or awestrikingly "chart material"
I definitly agree with you on this point.

Matter of fact what is commercially available has to sell, which is the reason why i felt attracted by the netlabel scene, or at least the experimental one since i don't feel that attracted by the edm one.

Some releases were actually bringing something new during a little while but i do agree that most of them aren't.

Now, about that chart aspect, some tracks had or have it and were or will be licensed by some traditionnal, and most of the netlabels recently created ain't nothing but a showcase for incoming physical releases or incoming artists.

So i'm not quite sure that the chart aspect is actually what's missing in the netlabel scene since they tend to reproduce what could potentially sell, IMO one thing that could be pointed would be the originality of the releases, which could also be said for most of the physical releases, just think Basic Channel or Akufen and what followed...
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
You did say it was all bad, sissy music etc...but now I see clearly your criteria/taste is all about the obvious, 'chartworthy' run-of-the-mill, track of the month, popular sound, top labels etc...makes sense. That's cool.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

subtropical wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
You did say it was all bad, sissy music etc...but now I see clearly your criteria/taste is all about the obvious, 'chartworthy' run-of-the-mill, track of the month, popular sound, top labels etc...makes sense. That's cool.
oh yeah i did say that..

but what the sh!t are you talking about, "run-of-the-mill" ? no, i'm talking about good fucking records. It's not a pop thing at all - i'm talking about music that deserves to be recognized... chartworthy = material that is so good that it should be put on people's top ten. there's no way to misunderstand that...

Anyways, to wrap all this up -
what's with the hypocrites?
http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=574

possible response: "that's just so people can share dj sets, not eps and music"

real answer: "we're full of sh!t, everyone of us are sharing dozens of commercial eps of artists and labels everyone here knows and we'd rather do this than pay for it or go out and buy it"

don't say otherwise, I took a peek at near everyone's shares that were online.

case closed.

Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:real answer: "we're full of sht, everyone of us are sharing dozens of commercial eps of artists and labels everyone here knows and we'd rather do this than pay for it or go out and buy it"

don't say otherwise, I took a peek at near everyone's shares that were online.

case closed.
Case still open.
Else, get a personal website and do whatever you want there.

What if people buy the records they first hear on Soulseek ?
If people want to support the artists they like, if they can, then they will, in a way or the other.
Minus releases are widely available on Soulseek, but do you really think that Beatport is not selling any of their releases ?

Peer-to-peer technology is here to stay - it's the most efficient distribution system ever created and thinking that it could be used for piracy only is plain wrong.
There's a lot of talk about how to make this, the best media distribution technology, both legal and efficient for everyone involved (artists and users), but we can't really improve on this if people continue believing the majors story that sharing=stealing. Things are never all black or white, you know...
Last edited by Zoiberg on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.