Best software for producing...

- ask away
rule
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Best software for producing...

Post by rule »

Hi,

I'm interested to know what programs you're using for producing minimal, and what the advantages/disadvantages of your weapons of choice are.

I own a windows pc and use Cubase SX. I'm very satisfied. I've also played with Mac/Logic, but I'm just better and more comfy with Cubase at this point.

I once started out with Reason. (I even own version 3.0). I'm it pretty good with it (as it's a bit like my old hardware-studio), but I never managed to get a clear, open, dynamic sound like you'll get from Logic or Cubase. Same goes for Ableton Live 6.0, which I use as well. I've used it only a couple of times for producing, together with a friend that's really good in Ableton. It's sound engine is just not so very good. The tracks -using very good samples- sounded muffled.

I did use Ableton for live performances, and was very pleased. BUT: Logic and Cubase productions through Ableton sounded a lot better that Ableton productions through Ableton.

What do you guys think?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i think you should stay with the app you feel confortable the most. thats about it. yeesh, no offence, but it's so easy to understand that. NO APP is designed for this or that kind of music. for example...you go in a music shop and come to the guy saying...hi could you please tell me which drums should i buy to make jazz/rock or whatever music. how does that sound to you?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
rule
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rule »

duh

I'm not talking about ease of use but about SOUND QUALITY

how crisp, thick, dynamic, open spatial do you think are the programs u use? What are their limitations?
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

sound quality depends on your own skills not on app you use....
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

reason and ableton together dont seem to have any limitations as far as im concerned...if u cant rock with that.....then....u got problems

i tihnk
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

rule wrote:What are their limitations?
i find users to be the biggest limitation.
bodysong
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bodysong »

if you use it right pretty sure you can make an hot dog soung good.
Nima Khak
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nima Khak »

ableton is for me the most compleat and easy to work with set up.. i used to plug in a reason to it but lately i have found that i don't need it...