Actually finishing a track...

- ask away
Decepto
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Actually finishing a track...

Post by Decepto »

I've had this problem for a long time. Rarely am I ever able to actually finish a complete track. Does anyone else have this problem.

I usually work on a good 1 to 4 bar groove first. I have no problem pumping something out that I like. However, actually arranging it into a full track seems to never happen.

What do you guys do to get over this? I've been producing techno since 1999, and I have little to show for it because of this problem.

(However, I'll note that loading all my unfinished tracks up in Live has proved to be fruitful when playing gigs ) :D
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I think this is one of the most common problems, one solution to the problem is to try to work out an arrangement pretty fast, even though it sucks. once you've put out the arrangement everything becomes clearer what should happen (and what should not...). it's also easier to build your track that way with the elements, because if you just work on a loop all the time, it is easy that you just stack things upon eachother until it works, and then when you try to arrange, things sound like crap because all the elements work with eachother too much. + you get blind of what you're hearing, and bored. you save the loop and never touch it again.

I suppose it's the same thing as when you're drawing a picture, (usually) you don't start by doing one very complex detail and then you try to draw something around it... then it becomes too hard. if you're programming your own patches, I'd advice to make a few patches that work well together first, before you start 'sketching'.

another solution in your situation would be to take advatange of that you feel that it's not a problem to make livesets. merge a few tracks(loops) into one longer evolving track instead...