mackie hr824

- ask away
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mackie hr824

Post by james hill »

Decided to go with these in the end and had them delivered today. The sound quality is superb but i thought perhaps they'd go louder before they started clipping...... Am i deaf!!!? :)
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

i know the feeling.

best advice is 1) optimize your gain structure so you get the best and loudest possible sound without over driving them

2) get used to listening to things quieter over time

3) minimize the amount of background noise and distractions so you can hear what you're doing better

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Well, you should probably do some research on sound waves and wave cancelation - you might find that your room is not set up that well, many people think their monitors are quiet, when in fact there's lots of audio cancelations and basically you won't be getting the optimum sound pressure in the room. Can affect the apparent total volume, or parts of the frequency spectrum, so give them a go somewhere else and listen.

You shouldn't be blasting nearfields too much! Even tho they can go loud, they are meant to be used for long periods of listening, so if you want to rock out with speakers, get some PA styled for that part of the process. I know it's always nice to crank up the speakers and just vibe off it for a while, but you should get plenty of vibe off the mackies, just need to tune your room I'd say.
r.i.

let the music talk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'd agree with the last two posts, i have mackie HR824's, and i reckon they are plenty loud enough. when i started out i used to have everything blasting out, but now i monitor at much lower levels, and background noise from computers is my only problem. (even though i built a special chamber for my PC )
your ears naturally compress loud sounds, so at high volumes you are getting a distorted impression. i normally start the day with my monitors really low, because invariably the volume creeps up as my ears get used to it.
i always check my tunes on a larger rig, usually by playing the tunes out at a gig, before i go to mastering.
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by james hill »

Hey guys, there was no problem in the end! I had them set up in a different room at home to test them, and it must of had really bad acoustics. When i got them in the right place they sounded awesome, no complaints at all! :D

Think i was just freaking out as they cost me a fair few pennies!

Cheers for advice anyway, definately some handy tips :)