attention fellow producers..... rampant piracy

- wax
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Zoiberg wrote: About punk, I was thinking of the Sex Pistols and true punk bands, not the rip offs that MTV is pushing nowadays.
About the Sex Pistols being a "real" punk band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_ ... ll_Swindle
Arnie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Arnie »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:You can say all you want about what commercialization of music has done, but the DJ and dance culture, etc, is it's own catagory and is something people enjoy very much and it has it's own set of expectations that it places on producers/artists and releasers of records
Who are those DJ's and artists you enjoy nowadays?
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/arniesailsaway
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Free downloads: Problem is, there really isn't anything super good on netlabels. This is begging for a flame war, I know, but fact is that it's all really soft music that is out on netlabels and there isn't a lot of quality to choose from besides. Most of it is all that dubby microhouse bulldink and there's not too much that has some real balls.
Thats your opinion - there are great netlabels out there releasing music other than 'dubby mictohouse bulldink'
And as per perlon - don't get me wrong, I didn't say that their lack of digital distro makes it "right" to steal their music. I said I can understand why people might do so. A lot of people live in areas where they cannot purchase it conveniently, besides, without having to order records and pay more than the record itself in shipping. Now for lots more reasons than this alone, Not having digital distribution is lame as fck... they need to get with the times.

Had Perlon had anything I actually wanted, i'd buy it digitally. Or pirate it if I had to. You can call me criminal or anything you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to pay what would probably be 16 bucks in the end for a 5 dollar record and wait 3-4 weeks for it to ship, besides. Digital distribution is here, and anyone who doesn't take advantage of it is dumb as fck. I'll gladly pay for beatported releases, etc.

Lets stick with Perlon as an example - as they are one of the few labels out there in this scene that release CD's of their compilations (e.g. Superlongevity Series) along side their vinyl releases - now, are CD's something you would consider buying, or are they free reign to be pirated as well, because there are no digital downlaods available of those releases?
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Couple angles I could take with this. but if for no other reason, they should have a website as a courtesy to their fanbase / customers. People want to hear news of new releases straight from the source and find out what artists are up to, etc. I'm with you on the part about goals, etc. But I think maybe I'm meaning it's not about doing the bare minimum to achieve those business goals. I bet they could even get some excited perlon fanboy to make them a website for free.
I agree with you on this one - I would love to hear some news on the label, its artists, releases & parties, straight from the horses mouth. At the moment I have to wait to catch Sammy D / Zip at a party and what not to get the low-down, which for me might be in 2020 beacuse they won't be touring Melbourne/Australia any time soon.

But at the same time I also understand there is no need to have a website or newsletter or a mailing list whatever, they are basically selling out each release to my knowledge, what more needs to be done?
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
i dunno, maybe I was sidestepping a little because I can't think of a lot I like at the moment? :)

I like *some* of the audion (the hits, mostly...kisses, titty fck for example), I like a lot of the minus cats, I sort of liked some of the stuff alter ego were doing at one point but they kinda suck again now... some of the recent costello sht, most of my at home or work listening though is DJ sets i grab from this board....(magda ones are often full of tracks I love).. none of this should be taken as definitive indication of what I consider the best / my faves.. just a couple examples.
*yawn

I guess I was hoping to see something less common...(shrugs)
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Daniel Logikal wrote:Thats your opinion - there are great netlabels out there releasing music other than 'dubby mictohouse bulldink'
i've not seen hardly anything like that... a few weak ones and some ok ones, but nothing special.. point me if you have examples..
Daniel Logikal wrote:Lets stick with Perlon as an example - as they are one of the few labels out there in this scene that release CD's of their compilations (e.g. Superlongevity Series) along side their vinyl releases - now, are CD's something you would consider buying, or are they free reign to be pirated as well, because there are no digital downlaods available of those releases?
to be honest, i'm not sure why you bring up CDs, as it is no different than vinyl.. it's still a physical medium.. I'll not say more than that I guess, i've repeated myself enough

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
Daniel Logikal wrote:Thats your opinion - there are great netlabels out there releasing music other than 'dubby mictohouse bulldink'
i've not seen hardly anything like that... a few weak ones and some ok ones, but nothing special.. point me if you have examples..
Daniel Logikal wrote:Lets stick with Perlon as an example - as they are one of the few labels out there in this scene that release CD's of their compilations (e.g. Superlongevity Series) along side their vinyl releases - now, are CD's something you would consider buying, or are they free reign to be pirated as well, because there are no digital downlaods available of those releases?
to be honest, i'm not sure why you bring up CDs, as it is no different than vinyl.. it's still a physical medium.. I'll not say more than that I guess, i've repeated myself enough
yet they still dont seem to be getting it. i say you rehash it again. with longer adjectives. and more paragraphs ;)
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

Of course. I guess any physical medium is much harder to thieve than those trusty pre-release digital rips. You don't even have to leave the comfort of a bedroom to get those, bonus. :wink: