attention fellow producers..... rampant piracy

- wax
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

.. it's just understandable why people would want to pirate it..
Zero Tolerance imo - I am referring to the endless downloads & consumption by individuals and so called ripping groups. Lame.

My fav. label, Perlon, doesn't do digital downloads, which is a shame. But I still buy their records (easier if you DJ like me - harder if you don't but these are DJ tools after all), however its still no excuse to steal their music via other means, imho.

If people want free downloads, look no further than the numerous quality net labels on offer. And while your at it, head out once in a while for a good night out, instead of riding the bandwidth at home like a keyboard warrior night after night (the bubble theory).
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

Daniel Logikal wrote:
Zero Tolerance imo - I am referring to the endless downloads & consumption by individuals and so called ripping groups. Lame.

If people want free downloads, look no further than the numerous quality net labels on offer. And while your at it, head out once in a while for a good night out, instead of riding the bandwidth at home like a keyboard warrior night after night (the bubble theory).
Excellent point. In fact, you could surf and download high quality net-releases 24 hours a day 7 days a week and still not get it all. I'm with you on this 1000%
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

For those asking for a study on file sharing and music sells decline, here's a nice paper:

http://www.p2pnet.net/zero/FileSharing_March2004.pdf
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Daniel Logikal wrote:

My fav. label, Perlon, doesn't do digital downloads, which is a shame. But I still buy their records (easier if you DJ like me - harder if you don't but these are DJ tools after all), however its still no excuse to steal their music via other means, imho.

Some DJs prefer digital... vinyl is fun to own and all that but if I started playing all over the place, I sure as sh!t wouldn't want to carry a stack of records with me.

Free downloads: Problem is, there really isn't anything super good on netlabels. This is begging for a flame war, I know, but fact is that it's all really soft music that is out on netlabels and there isn't a lot of quality to choose from besides. Most of it is all that dubby microhouse bulldink and there's not too much that has some real balls.

And as per perlon - don't get me wrong, I didn't say that their lack of digital distro makes it "right" to steal their music. I said I can understand why people might do so. A lot of people live in areas where they cannot purchase it conveniently, besides, without having to order records and pay more than the record itself in shipping. Now for lots more reasons than this alone, Not having digital distribution is lame as fck... they need to get with the times.

Had Perlon had anything I actually wanted, i'd buy it digitally. Or pirate it if I had to. You can call me criminal or anything you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to pay what would probably be 16 bucks in the end for a 5 dollar record and wait 3-4 weeks for it to ship, besides. Digital distribution is here, and anyone who doesn't take advantage of it is dumb as fck. I'll gladly pay for beatported releases, etc.

And about the bandwidth surfers - that's kind of another element to it. I think there's something innately addictive about it all. I don't actively participate in file sharing / downloading but might if there's something I want from time to time. But when checking it out in the past, I recognized how easily one could get sucked into an addictive streak of yanked album collecting.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
kans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kans »

Zoiberg wrote:For those asking for a study on file sharing and music sells decline, here's a nice paper:

This was an interesting read - I kind of wish they expanded their study to include regions where music was obtained primarily by order, as opposed to the universally available supplies in virtually any US city. I think that would personally give me a greater sense of answered questions, since in the electronic music world the music is way more frequently obtained that way (by order). Nonetheless the scale of their study was pretty huge and I think the economics of it are pretty sound (aside from what I mentioned wanting above).

I think the real "arguments" on this forum stem from a clashing of people's spend habits. Like breifly mentioned in that essay it would seem highly plausible that people who download/pirate (whatever) just have a greater dissuasion to purchasing since they've had a taste of the free stuff. So to you guys going on and on, just accept that you have different opinions! Also, download an IM program and chat directly, it'll be much easier, I promise!

I also would like to see a revised version of this study, because they say they're still looking into the scale of impact downloads have to sales in sect categories of music within genres. At the time of writing it, they found no discernable changes, but still, they studied relatively wide scale categories of music, where even their smaller branches still ecclipse the number of electronic music fans. So that coupled with the physical availability differences I think could make for some diffierent results... BUT since they aren't available, its only speculation.

On a sidenoted, I nearly hurled when I saw that damn MLA format... it took me back to school, and I didnt want to go there!
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

kans wrote:
Zoiberg wrote:For those asking for a study on file sharing and music sells decline, here's a nice paper:

This was an interesting read - I kind of wish they expanded their study to include regions where music was obtained primarily by order, as opposed to the universally available supplies in virtually any US city. I think that would personally give me a greater sense of answered questions, since in the electronic music world the music is way more frequently obtained that way (by order). Nonetheless the scale of their study was pretty huge and I think the economics of it are pretty sound (aside from what I mentioned wanting above).

I think the real "arguments" on this forum stem from a clashing of people's spend habits. Like breifly mentioned in that essay it would seem highly plausible that people who download/pirate (whatever) just have a greater dissuasion to purchasing since they've had a taste of the free stuff. So to you guys going on and on, just accept that you have different opinions! Also, download an IM program and chat directly, it'll be much easier, I promise!

I also would like to see a revised version of this study, because they say they're still looking into the scale of impact downloads have to sales in sect categories of music within genres. At the time of writing it, they found no discernable changes, but still, they studied relatively wide scale categories of music, where even their smaller branches still ecclipse the number of electronic music fans. So that coupled with the physical availability differences I think could make for some diffierent results... BUT since they aren't available, its only speculation.

On a sidenoted, I nearly hurled when I saw that damn MLA format... it took me back to school, and I didnt want to go there!

Yeah - it's also a couple years old. That might seem insignificant but because of climate changes in certain areas of distribution, it might have more impact than meets the eye. They also make a lot of assumptions in arriving at their chosen methods of measurement, but in the least, it's nice to see a non-biased / spinner approach to the questions trying to be answered.

And as stated in your post, there are differences when you consider the electronic music nerds and things. They may or may not be more likely to purchase digitally... and even a couple years ago, not as many options existed for digital purchasing od electronic music.. even the big wigs like beatport didn't have the selection they do today. A small, small thing to consider in the broader scope of things, yes, but a valid example of one of many things that may demonstrate different results when taken into consideration in such a study.

subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
Free downloads: Problem is, there really isn't anything super good on netlabels.
Again with the subjectivity. If we wanted your opinion on netlabel music, we would have handed it to you. :D
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

subtropical wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
Free downloads: Problem is, there really isn't anything super good on netlabels.
Again with the subjectivity. If we wanted your opinion on netlabel music, we would have handed it to you. :D
I think it's naturally assumed that when talking about music in a broad way like that - that the things said by any participating party are completely subjective. Yes, my tastes are subjective and pertaining to me specifically and I don't like any of the wimpy netlabel music out there. if you noticed, I was talking about myself specifically in a lot of that post. Still, regardless of perceived "how good something is", the type of music available isn't subjective. It's fact, not opinion, that netlabels are 90% dubby microhouse and it's fact that I hate that sh!t ;)

Oh, and your statement here is completely subjective too.