Richie Hawtin Method?

- ask away
nute
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nute »

no richie would never sample peoples work...apart from yellow ;)
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

ofcourse it is your personal opinion. But I just don't agree with that. Richie Hawtin is one of a kind. Don't worry about it, he also has his own modular :wink:. Somewhere I agree with you, but not with Richie Hawtin, not because he is one of first minimalproducers, just because he isn't cheating. And if he use someone others beat (like from magda) most of the time in "musik world" they call it a remix?!

Beside that, I think we (producers) all want to have a modular. But because it is like 4000 till...... Dollars. It is not for everybody. Besides they have to know how its works, i think that it harder then get 10 grand.

We make musik with hardware, but we also use a TR-808? Is that cheating too, because we use the sound of the 808?

Somewhere I think u have to rethink about what you are saying! Stealing is something different then using (u can like someone others sound). I hope u pay for all your musik you have, because....else you are cheating the musik industry
:wink:
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

nute wrote:no richie would never sample peoples work...apart from yellow ;)
and Orange ;)

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you do it. It all about makin hits and if sampling is what you have to do in order to get the job done then go ahead.
I personally find it hard to get a unique sound out of samples. I'm a synthesis nut anyways and enjoy making the sounds from scratch as much as i do making them into a track, but even in techno that makes me a weirdo. Sample your heart out if you have to but for fucks sake make it worth while to listen to and don't sample from anything that you can't top as a track.
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

Torque wrote:
nute wrote:no richie would never sample peoples work...apart from yellow ;)
and Orange ;)

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you do it. It all about makin hits and if sampling is what you have to do in order to get the job done then go ahead.
I personally find it hard to get a unique sound out of samples. I'm a synthesis nut anyways and enjoy making the sounds from scratch as much as i do making them into a track, but even in techno that makes me a weirdo. Sample your heart out if you have to but for fucks sake make it worth while to listen to and don't sample from anything that you can't top as a track.
Hmmm that is what I mean :)
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

since the last plastikman, richie didn't release anything as his own production, own track. The DE9 etc.. are something else.. all the cuts and the loops there were mentioned in the dvd. He didn't steal anything.. he just cut some sounds from different tracks of other artists and re-arrange them in his own way and made a "story" out of this, a transition.. giving also his own names for the resulted tracks. And as JPLS said.. this is his technique for producing mixes.. not tracks!
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

as much as i know, most producer use wav samples or synth their own.
if u don't know how to synth your own samples (and from what i've read i understand u don't) u can always buy sound laibraries, there are many many DVD's and CD's u can buy with excellent audio samples, some come with samples for Kontakt and similer VSTi.

i recommand Vengeance Minimal House, it got alot of good wav samples u can use, incl. riffs, kicks, snare, effects and much more.
personally, i use some of their samples in every production i make.
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mando »

Native Instruments

Tech Talk with Richie Hawtin
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

yow,

Richie do sample other artists, but his work makes it to an complete new concept, with a special energy, etc
how he works is:
he collect a bunch of tracks he likes, he ask he artist if it is possible to use the samples, he cuts them he puts a filter into it, he puts effects on it and he forfill it whit his own loops and beats, fx,...
but it is a fact that the way how somebody makes music, if he ore she can make something original it is owke for me... so sampling, vsti, hardware, wav, at the end it becomes MUSIC and that what's it all about her or isnt it????