Reverb question

- ask away
relative q
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by relative q »

Gating should solve that problem. Make sure you set the release on the gate long enough that you still maintain the reverb tail, and the threshold just low enough that it cuts out the hiss and no lower.
i require more bass.

blingin rims at reasonable prices: netlabel reviews and other dumb sh!t
relative q web presence
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

you also probably have a lowpass filter that will remove some high frequencies from the signal entering your reverb. Tweak it to remove the hiss without destroying your sound ;)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

There are a few things you can do.
If the sound you have is becoming "washed out" by the reverb most likely it's because you have the release set too long so it's trailing to far and becoming stacked upon itself.
To clean up the sound even further there are a few more things you can do.
Set the pre-delay correctly so it lets the sound play before the reverb starts. For example if you set the pre-delay at 1 second that means that the reverb wont start until 1 second after the sound that it's effecting has played.
You can use both the pre-delay and the release together on the reverb to make it act as a sort of another rhythm element in the track by using a delay calculator to find out what the setting would be in milliseconds on both the pre-delay and the release to act as syncopation for the sound it's effecting.
If your sound is becoming muddy from the reverb then it's usually because it's making reverb in lower frequencies that are already filled by the kick drum and the bassline. How you get rid of this is either by putting an eq or filter before the reverb in the effect chain and use it to cut out the lows. Most reverbs have a built in filter that will dampen these frequencies from being effected if you set them correctly.
Reverb has basicly 3 functions that it's useful for.

1. to set the sound in an acoustic space and give it depth

2. to fill in frequencies that the musical content of the track are not filling (just remember that it can only make a frequency louder that already exists in the sound it's effecting, it can not add a freqency that does not exist in the sound itself)

3. to add an extra musical element through the timing of the effect (it's usually done very subtely but in a minimal track i imagine it could be very useful in this aspect)

I hope this helps you
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Thanks a bunch!
I should be able to solve it now.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

I am assuming you are using a software reverb (correct me if i'm wrong). But I'd also try using different reverb plugins/devices and seeing how they differ as well. There are some reverbs that just sound a million times better than others.

Try some demos for the more expensive ones or something if need be. You *may* find yourself a bit happier with the results
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

sounds like defuse and reflections, trying turning them down.