Richie Hawtin Method?

- ask away
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

I think i covered that before in the thread.. anyway, i know he wasnt using this technique for the older tracks (plastikman etc.) But for the newer stuff, the technique is what we are speaking of here. Also, its not loops per say, its various bits taken from hunderds of tracks, single sounds and whats not.
focusShift
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by focusShift »

I think how he layers and de/reconstructs tracks, samples, loops in DE9: Transitions is stellar and a very fine form of musicianship.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steffensen wrote:
northernlight wrote:so, where do you get your drums sounds from for example?
I make them in my modular.
:D
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

Guess im just old-school. :)
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steffensen wrote:Guess im just old-school. :)
easy, i like both, synthesizing my own drums and using samples.

if you look at dnb for example, it's common to use drum samples from records and rearrange them in new ways.

imo, sampling is just another technic to create new music. one that i don't want to miss.

like hawtin, you can get very creativ with audio material.
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

I gotta admit i have used samples as well, but to the degree that i layer for example a couple of kicks/snare for designing new kicks and stuff. Thats how far i can go without feeling ashamed tho. :)
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

steffensen wrote:I think i covered that before in the thread.. anyway, i know he wasnt using this technique for the older tracks (plastikman etc.) But for the newer stuff, the technique is what we are speaking of here. Also, its not loops per say, its various bits taken from hunderds of tracks, single sounds and whats not.
can you provide a specific example of this?

im still confused regarding what newer stuff he makes with hundreds
of tracks..unless its the latest de9...but still....if thats what you are talking
about then i am really confused.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

You guys are nuts. Richie doesn't sample other artists. The EP he put out called "The Tunnel" was definitely samples, but it was very blatant. It was a huge megamix. The first DE9 vinyl was just a few portions taken from the CD. The second DE9 vinyl was 2 records of various locked grooves. For the third, he decided just to make some completely new tracks to play, made of various segments. Outside of the DE9 series or a remix, Richie would never sample other people's work.

A lot of the sounds from the most recent Plastikman LP came from the FM7 VST, according to him in an interview.