Richie Hawtin Method?

- ask away
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

i think people dont realize today that midi a few years ago meant almost something else

basically some midi channels and signals are for one sound only....

i think roland created midi to standardize the info sent......
so you could get a drum set on a keyboard using a certain midi channel

and say c3 was a cowbell....

so when and if u worked on someone elses keyboard....you could recall the midi and you would have the same drum beat even if it was a yamaha or a kurzweil.....

midi wasnt just a way to trigger samples and drums.

http://www.midi.org/

create a midi file and open it up in quicktime or windows media player.....youll hear piano keys playing....thats from the old days of midi

so no i dont think richie used midi to make his songs....well not in the way i think your asking
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

Sure he did, in the earlier years. Thats his own words btw.
What he means is, for those who doesnt seem to understand, is that he used synths, drumboxes and produced with midi, compared to now, when he uses samples/loops/cuts in various combinations and whats not. Its really 2 different ways of working, wich most of us combine today, without even thinking about it im sure.

I think most of us know what midi is, but hey, good thing u explained it to the rest. :)
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

it was a shitty explanation on my part, but ok :)
BobStock
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BobStock »

steffensen wrote:From what i understand, he uses recorded "loops" from a lot of different tracks, cuts them down and reassembles the pieces to a beat of his own.
Also, he seems to put some own sounds on top of it all, like a bassline for example.
Sure, i understand that such a method takes a lot of time, energy and creativity to do, but i cant help feeling a bit dissapointed. For me using someone elses sounds, is a bit of cheating, no matter what.
Thats my personal oponion of course. I gotta say he really changes the org sounds to something new however..
What makes it for u that u think it is cheating using someone elses sound?
I know what u mean, but don't u think it is hard to say it is cheating. There are that many "dj s" who are using sounds from others. It is like the history of dj's; using records from artist. I think, no im sure, that richie hawtin have a unique sound. And to come back about "cheating" it makes 'djs' unique how they mix and how they use records. And richie got his own way, like u proberly don't be influded by other artisticmusik!
:wink: .
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

BobStock wrote: What makes it for u that u think it is cheating using someone elses sound?
Just that, "using someone elses sound", is for me not the same as doing music of your own, but creating new beats with someone elses hard work.
Thats what dj's do, but imo musicians do not. Hence why i thought it felt a bit like cheating.
And as said before, that my personal opinion.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

steffensen wrote:
BobStock wrote: What makes it for u that u think it is cheating using someone elses sound?
Just that, "using someone elses sound", is for me not the same as doing music of your own, but creating new beats with someone elses hard work.
Thats what dj's do, but imo musicians do not. Hence why i thought it felt a bit like cheating.
so, where do you get your drums sounds from for example?
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

northernlight wrote:so, where do you get your drums sounds from for example?
I make them in my modular.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

steffensen wrote:
sounds like you are confusing his technique for producing mixes with
his technique for producing tracks.

listen to any plastikman track...pretty obvious he is not using loops
from people.