Used Nord Lead 3

- ask away
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Used Nord Lead 3

Post by northernlight »

I have the chance to get a used nord lead 3 for about 1200 Euros (about 1500 USD / 770 GBP)

i also get to test the unit before i buy it. is there anything i should look out for? any notorious issues with nord leads?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

never had any problems with mine
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

from another forum:
I have heard from countless nord users that the lead 2 sounds better than the 3.

I think the Lead 2x is the one to go for if you can find one.
hearsay or fact?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

it's a bit the same as nord modular classic and G2 I guess... G2 sounds alot smoother, the classic sounds a bit rougher (which I like)

I suspect it might be the same with nordlead2 vs. nordlead3 but I can't say, I never heard the NL3 (I've had the nordrack1 and 2 though)

so, what goes for your quote there:
"better" is more a matter of what you'll use it for I guess, if I'm right about the sound engine thing.
resonaut
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by resonaut »

3 uses a completely rewritten sound engine AFAIK which could explain the difference. I still think it's a bloody fantastic synth (bought it 4 years ago, loving it)...
uno-seis-siete
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i have a nord lead, and a nord 3, and the nord lead absolutely definitely sounds better than the 3.
the nord 2 is very similar to the nord lead, the 2 is like an upgraded lead, whereas the 3 was completely redesigned.
however the nord 3 is a fantastic synth, and i use it more than the lead because it is just so easy to get sounds out of it, and so easy to use.
i dont mind the slight dip in sound quality, because i put all my virtual analogues through real analogue filters anyway, because no matter how good those virtuals are, i'm sorry but they just dont sound like the real thing.

my friend had a chat with Aril Brihka (Transmat) a couple of years ago, and he swears by Nord 2's preferring them over the 3, so thats probably confused you even more, but my advice is go with the 3, and if you can afford it, buy a couple of moogerfooger low pass's, or a low pass and a Murf, thats an awesome set-up.