Trelik 11 and Aspect

- wax
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Trelik 11 and Aspect

Post by resolved »

aspect 1 & 2 nothing special :lol: whatever you say

i think melchior has changed his stylefairly dramatically in recent years, after no disco future (though i would argue that in itself constituted a change). dramatically and for the worse.

for me an 'average' melchior track made before 2007 is vastly superior to most house music. and he was hardly ultra prolific....
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:it also doesnt matter to me if someone plays now and then some melchior tracks, that was not what i meant.
what i meant was, its a bit redundant to buy most of his tracks, there are some classics and maybe you buy some not so famous tracks also, but thats it. after that you got this style "covered".
and i just cant understand why they are not trying to break out of their "style". if they play DJ Sets they play all kind of stuff but at the moment they sit down in front of their PC they think: hey lets make a track that sounds similar to all what i produced the last 7 years..
Themis, wtf?!
Surely, he doesn't start a new track thinking "i should do something like "Love Was"'... It's his style. Do you know what style is? More often than not it's an extension of one's inner world. He can't do things differently, otherwise he will be faking the funk.
Would you tell Mark Rothko to start drawing flowers and deers? 'Cause you know, his paintings all look the same... And after you saw a couple of them, "you got this style "covered"".
Would you tell Wes Anderson to start making gore movies? 'Cause you know, all his movies are basically the same... And after you saw a couple of them, "you got this style "covered"".
Would you tell Bukowski to fck off and start writing more seriously, maybe writing haikus instead of his long self-centered poems? 'Cause you know, all his poems and novels are basically the same... And after you read a couple of them, "you got this style "covered"".

But you know what, if you "got this style 'covered'", i dare you not to buy Melchior's new records. You should also sell his latest arpiar record, because you already had "this style 'covered'" long before he released it.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hm i understand what you are saying.. i think still it sucks.

i value producers who do different things in their carriers.
like i dont play 10 years the same music or even like the same music, i would think a artist goes also through different life situations and his output reflects that.
i just dont see that. which is nothing bad he can make whatever music he likes just from my DJ perspective its a bit redundant.

i could sell that arpiar record cause i played it only once, thats just how fed up im with that "style". but im not only a DJ also a Vinyl Collector, so its hard for me to sell a arpiar record :)
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:i value producers who do different things in their carriers.
Yeah, who?
Themis wrote:like i dont play 10 years the same music or even like the same music
Now that's debatable. If you play house/techno then you basically play the same music. It hasn't change that much since the 80s.
Themis wrote:i would think a artist goes also through different life situations and his output reflects that. i just dont see that.

Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

hm there are definitly not many that come to mind, thats why i said he suffers from the same problem like many other producers - so again i didnt mean to talk him down.

who comes to mind as an artist with great variety to me is Matthew Herbert.

though if i look at his catalog maybe its not fair to compare cause he produced like 4 times as much as melchior.

originally my comment was a response @resolved who stated that aspect 4 comes not even close to the other releases on the label, someone pointed to the binh set where he plays a track from aspect 4. i listend and thought thats a standard melchior track. i dont see a difference between that track and aspect 1/2 or most of the other releases in the last 10 years.

so then i began to rant about that most artists today dont make something different from time to time, if you know one record the chances are high you also know the next 5 releases. personally for me thats predictable and cause of that boring.
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

matthew herbert might have 'great variety' over his career but all his best house tracks were made before about 2001ish and most sound very very similar.

and if you really can't hear the difference between the track in the binh mix and aspect 1/2... i mean, it sounds totally different
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

also melchior is one of few artists (i'd actually include herbert in this bracket) who have managed to create a sound entirely of their own. that's an achievement. even his new stuff, which i don't like at all, is very distinctive. you can tell it's him even though, in terms of the actual architecture and engineering, it sounds nothing like his early melchior productions releases.

the guy used to use all hardware, a very simple set up, mainly korg machines (for let's go deep, no elevador, the meaning etc) then switched to using a computer too from no disco future onwards. to say his sound hasn't changed at all and everything has been the same for ten years is inane.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

resolved wrote:also melchior is one of few artists (i'd actually include herbert in this bracket) who have managed to create a sound entirely of their own. that's an achievement. even his new stuff, which i don't like at all, is very distinctive. you can tell it's him even though, in terms of the actual architecture and engineering, it sounds nothing like his early melchior productions releases.

the guy used to use all hardware, a very simple set up, mainly korg machines (for let's go deep, no elevador, the meaning etc) then switched to using a computer too from no disco future onwards. to say his sound hasn't changed at all and everything has been the same for ten years is inane.
thats not true

melchior uses hardware as well. he was just impressed that you can use all these things in Logic which you needed a machine in older days.

his studio is full of hardware. typical rolands, korgs, in there. a soundcraft desk, some effects. a computer of course with logic

the last perlon album is mixed with old tracks