Drums in Ableton

all things.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Drums in Ableton

Post by jackbrazzo »

Started properly in Ableton 9 about 2 months ago. Really enjoying it.

I have one newbie question. I now want to make my beats (particularly hi-hats and snares) to be more complex. Like adding flams, little snare rolls etc. At the moment I am creating drum racks on a basic 4/4 beat but that is about it, I want to take my productions that bit further now. Difficult to explain but more complex notes etc, extra effects,

Like here is Ricardo's track at 1.00 marker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC6rMYNX01A

Is there a way in the grid to put accents on and independent hi hat patterns etc?
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Drums in Ableton

Post by jackbrazzo »

OK I think I have answered my own question. One way I am doing this is throwing down a hi hat combo pattern and putting a shaker in the mix too so it fattens the sound out and basically sounds like more is going on.

Also John I am not so sure about the sub forums, I am not sure posts are going to have must exposure, that said it aint my site :)

JB
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thasim1 »

you can use velocity to make certain notes louder/quieter.
mcan88
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mcan88 »

I really like his drum/perc patterns too. Any more info on how this can be done without really playing the perc. or using a loop sample. What you said seems really hard if you're really putting everything in place off the grid for a 10 minute section. So any other ways that might be easier?

Thanks guys
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

layers / layers / layers...

add a quiet snare, eq'd to something odd and weird... add that to more jacked up claps, pitch them quietly to the right.. eq a hh, make it completely odd and abnormal, pan it completely to the left.. make your sound your own, but using other sounds layered, 4/5/6 different layers just for the clap or hh and use very specific levels...

:-flower