best softsynths for ableton

all things.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: best softsynths for ableton

Post by John Clees »

I know you mentioned free...however...

I've never bought any packs other than the free ones...but I was diggging last night, and even having more than a few keyboards..

this seems like a really nice option for only $75... on sale 25% off sales ends today I think..

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/analog/
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Bro, what about buying an issue of CM ( Computer Music Magazine ) ???

I buy the odd issue here and there, and juggle between that, FM and Music Tech mag, depending on what samples are advertised on the cover DVD. Thing is, the CM mag has a huge array of free ( well sort of free - in that they are exclusive to CM ) plugins, virtual synths, drum machines, samplers, efx etc included on every disk.

There's a whole heap of useful stuff ( for anyone really )

Highlights for me are:

U-he - Zebra CM
Audiorealism ADM CM
CM Dominator ( Juno-esque type softsynth with nice chord function )
Cableguys Curve 2 CM
CM 505

Some good bundled efx plugs too:

ExpertSleepers XFade Looper CM
KR -Reverb CM
Liquidsoniq Reverberate
KR Delay
VPS Philta CM

As for some other decent freeware:

TAL-U-No - Juno inspired softsynth http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-u-no-lx
Synth 1 - seems to be inspired by the Nord Lead http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/
Fav of mine : U-he TyrellN6 http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

:)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Why not use the included synths on Ableton? Analogue and operator are really nice, i think. They certainly seem better to me than a lot of the free plugins mentioned above...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:Why not use the included synths on Ableton? Analogue and operator are really nice, i think. They certainly seem better to me than a lot of the free plugins mentioned above...
Have you tried the one's I mentioned? I can't speak for stuff I haven't tried but some of those I put up are actually really good. People get ( not saying you ) a bit toffee-nosed with freeware vs commercial ware in terms of softsynths in the assumption that if it's free, it's sh!t. There's definitely some free stuff that's better than some commercial IMO.

I like Operator but I really hate Analogue and steer clear of it. I also happen to think the GUI's aren't particularly user-friendly either but hey, each to their own on that one. But yeah, some freeware can be a bit of a one-trick-pony, I kinda think that about the Tal Uno but it does sound pretty neat considering it's free. I like chords on it and that old House square bass with chorus....:)

But I really like the Computer Music Dominator vst. It has an ugly as sin 'Computer Music' logo slapped across it but it has a sound I really dig. Couple that with the fact it's subtractive and easy to use and has a 'Voice Control' function which allows you to choose from, 'Poly' mode ( default ) to, 'mono', 'unison' and 'chord'. I love the chord mode as you can stack up to 5 intervals on top of the root to allow you to play 1 finger parallel chords. It just sounds really good when you know its sweet spots. It's a little 'secret weapon'...

Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

You should get him the free synths by u-he: Tyrell N6 and Podowlski.

I use Tyrell all the time when i need a good juno-type poly synth. It does strings well, nice chords and can also do proper bass if you work it a bit. It's become my go-to for most "typical" sounds.

I reckon it's the type of synth that is good for learning synthesis too, as it has a modulation matrix that you can use for more complex stuff once you've understood the basics.
Also should say i find it beats the TAL-Uno. Much lighter on the CPU and more versatile to my ears too.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks for all the help guys.

basically my son has the run of my studio when he's here (if i'm not in there) but he wants to be teaching himself and practicing synthesis at his mum's house on his laptop. when he tried the Ableton synths he thought they were all sh!t, and the ones i tried were pretty poor. they just sound like toys and are not really going to help him understand synthesis, especially because he's used real synths in my studio.
however he doesnt want to spend money on good quality softsynths until he's got the hang of it, and its just for practice and getting used to Ableton.

peace
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

All the TAL stuff as mentioned before it fantastic.

the only other one i use other the the TAL stuff is this - http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/#sq8l
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Sorry AK, i actually haven't tried most of the plugs u mentioned. Apologies for the blanket statement. I gave up on chasing the plugin dragon quite a while ago because I seemed to waste a lot of time doing that, when what was in front of me is perfectly usable. Back when i did use a lot of free plugins my fave was probably synth 1. 1 page gui, pretty decent sound but doesn't deviate much from classic analogue territory. which i think is important for learn synthesis.
I dislike the gui's for most ableton synths. i hate pages and eg graphics... but the question was, best synths to use with ableton. in terms of stability (and i personally think, features aswell) i think operator and analog are probably the easiest to use with ableton.

Anywho, i had a thought... what about the nord g2 modular demo? it probably better represents what you have a home Steevio than anything mentioned here. i certainly didnt find the hardware easy to learn. BUT i was a beginner and didnt have anyone teaching me modular...
i really regret selling the hardware, cracking synth.

I wasn't meaning to say most free synths are rubbish compared to abletons. But i think they would be up with the best for a beginner to learn. I wish i had spent less time with so many plugins and more time learning one.

just my 2 cents x