Ableton - lost save point on project file

all things.
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ableton - lost save point on project file

Post by thasim1 »

I just went into one of my ongoing projects to have a listen. To my irritation, it was as if the 6 or so hours I spent working on it last night (i.e. the various new instruments and pattern / mix alterations etc) were never saved. Thing is they most definitely were. This particular project is saved to my external hard drive, which seems to erase recent data if it is pulled out too quickly after the transfer has taken place. Kind of weird though seeing as I (seemingly) left ample time for it to sit after I saved and closed the file. Even if the hard drive was taken out too soon, shouldn't the file at least revert to a fairly recent save point (not one which was made 6 or more hours prior to disconnection). There we're definitely heaps, I save like every 2 minutes or less as a matter of habit.

If anyone has any input it would be more than appreciated.

Sincerely bummed :(
Simon.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ableton - lost save point on project file

Post by hydrogen »

Sorry this happened to you!

Wih computers, I highly recommend doing incremental saves. Add a version number every so often. Start with filenames_01. Even add a 01a if u want... At work I find this important if I need to go back to a previous iteration... It also reduces problems like that happening. Usually the ableton files are small enough to deal with plenty of iteration. Computers aren't always reliable. Also back up your sh!t. The chances of a harddrive fail are actually higher than what you would like to believe.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Exactly what he said ( for future use ) I don't know what you can do here but I always save as a new version and can revert back if I need to. That's unfortunate btw.
thasim1
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thasim1 »

Thanks hydrogen. I started braking up my save points into different files like you suggested. I will eventually buy a new external hard drive too.

No big deal in the end. I ended up re-writing the content I lost.

Peace