going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
Post Reply
User avatar
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3822
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:05 am
Location: Hertfordshire
Contact:

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by tone-def » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:44 pm

steevio wrote: get it right at source, thats my motto with absolutely everything to do with electronic music.
i think it works well with all music. as they say, you can't polish a turd.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by steevio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 pm

ray parry wrote:
steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:is there a way in ableton to have audio parts looped playing from clip mode, but the warp off?
you just switch it off bro
i read today on the ableton forum, that its not possible to loop a clip without warp on. that really does suck as warp fucks up the entire sound.
it really does fck up the sound, but if you play the clip at the tempo it was recorded at, then warp isnt doing anything.

i didnt realise you couldnt turn warp off in clip mode, i always used to use the arrangement window, and duplicate clips, then you can turn warp off, and have any length loops you want, starting wherever you want, and mix and match clips one one track etc etc..

Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by Dektro » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I wouldn't care to much about the warping algorithm. Some known artists use it to get a specific kind of sound. Listen to the stretched sound starting at 0:04.


Don't care about sound quality, care about the feeling.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by steevio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Dektro wrote:I wouldn't care to much about the warping algorithm. Some known artists use it to get a specific kind of sound. Listen to the stretched sound starting at 0:04.


Don't care about sound quality, care about the feeling.
thats nonesense bro. yes abuse anything to get effects, but the majority of people just want to adjust the tempo of their audio without degradation.

DO care about the sound quality !!

jeez thats basic sh!t.

whenever i wanted to use a clip of audio from one of my tracks in Ableton i used to record off vinyl at the various tempos so i had a library of loops at the tempos my sets were likely to be at. if someone goes to all that bother to get good audio, then there must be something very inadequate about Ableton's Warp.

for the record there's also alot of 'known artists' who wouldnt use ableton if you paid them.

its been said already, its a personal thing

edit, if i sound like a twat guys, i'm just a sad perfectionist, sorry i cannot help it.
if you're just starting out with no money, ableton is probably the best way to get involved, and of course plenty of pros endorse it, but its not the only way, and if people dont say these things then things wont improve, i trust ableton to get it right in the end, after all i'm a subscriber.

Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: NY, USA From DFW, USA
Contact:

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by Dal-Tech » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:30 am

slavink wrote: For the guy who thought moving from Protools to Logic was madness, let me tell you: trying to keep up with the Digidesign/Avid hardware stuff is frustrating.. Too expensive.. Logic is just as good, maybe better. It certainly is a more complete package.
Same here. Except I disagree that Logic is better. It's kind ok like Garage Band. It's annoying when you try to drag and copy audio segments Logic will try to extend them or loop them. Zooming in and out is also a huge pain compared to ProTools. One thing I learned though is to not wate money on DAW software. You're lucky to make any money at all off of techno music. So I only have Logic express and an older version of Ableton Lite.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !

Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: NY, USA From DFW, USA
Contact:

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by Dal-Tech » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:41 am

Dektro wrote:I wouldn't care to much about the warping algorithm. Some known artists use it to get a specific kind of sound. Listen to the stretched sound starting at 0:04.
There's a trick to using the warp feature. I put it too good use steal audio previews of records online and then just extending them. I think you have to tap out the tempo to get more accuracy. The warp concept I think was taken from Recycle. The Ableton concept was just tracker software.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !

00FF
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 am

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by 00FF » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:22 am

Hades wrote:
the tracks you see horizontally in arrangement view are the same tracks you see vertically in session view
(obviously).
the thing is, in session view you can launch only one clip at the same time per track, but they don't have to be at the same line horizontally.
So let's say you put your bass in track 1, and your lead in track 2.
you put the verse A clip of your bass in the first clip slot, and then the verse B clip of your bass in slot 2, and the verse C clip in slot 3, and so on.
you do the same with your lead.
now you can play verse B clip of your bass track at the same time as verse C clip of your lead, just by clicking their play buttons.
you could never do that with a simple linear time arrangment like in the arrangment view, because obviously clip B would be a lot further down the line than clip A.

for obvious reasons, you usually want to play verse A of the bass with verse A of the lead, and verse B of the bass with verse B of the lead.
that's why you put them in the same horizontal row of slots, and a whole horizontal row of slots is called a "scene", you can launch all clips in one scene by clicking the play button at the far right of the horizontal row.

you can stop all scenes from all tracks by pusing the stop button at the bottom right.

hope that helps.
it's really very intuitively
I'm not sure if I quoted the right person, but this description is confusing for me. Isn't being able to play sequences in a non-linear way something that's been around for a very long time (in software sequencers)? I know it was possible in Fruity Loops back in the early 2000s, and I've been using Jeskola Buzztracker since be beginning of 2002 and I could do that (as well as playing two to fifty patterns from the same machine/instrument at the same instance). Maybe I am reading this wrong and i don't understand properly. I'm confused.

To be honest, I tried a Live demo in 2009 and didn't really understand what made it so popular. The clip thing seemed like playing patterns at the press of a button, but isn't that something common? Akai MPCs have always had that feature.
At the same time, I can't quit Buzztracker, especially with all of the updates coming again since 2009. I'd like to try other software just to see if it does any thing different for me, but I'm happy where I'm at now.

Maybe I'm just dense? -urk

livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:23 pm

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by livecollective » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

steevio wrote:
thats nonesense bro. yes abuse anything to get effects, but the majority of people just want to adjust the tempo of their audio without degradation.

DO care about the sound quality !!

jeez thats basic sh!t.

whenever i wanted to use a clip of audio from one of my tracks in Ableton i used to record off vinyl at the various tempos so i had a library of loops at the tempos my sets were likely to be at. if someone goes to all that bother to get good audio, then there must be something very inadequate about Ableton's Warp.

for the record there's also alot of 'known artists' who wouldnt use ableton if you paid them.

its been said already, its a personal thing

edit, if i sound like a twat guys, i'm just a sad perfectionist, sorry i cannot help it.
I am a perfectionist too, I have used logic, cubase, protools (in a professional environment) and ableton since live 2. They could fix things, so could any daw. The idea that any one daw is inferior to another is complete bollocks. I am just as much about "Sound Quality" as the next professional musician but its really you said down to preference.

I am signed to one of the bigger labels in the electronic community ( R & S / Apollo) and ableton's sound quality has never held me back. Just saying, its more about content than anything. You can say you are a perfectionist, etc etc etc. but in the end its all about content. I don't care how polished any music sounds... if it lacks soul (most polished music does, not including older pre-90 albums, think any steely dan album) then its of no consequence to me. I have no use for it, and from what I have found neither do the people listening/playing/paying for your music in my experience.

That being said your (everyones) music shouldn't sound sh!t and have a ton of soul, but I am saying one DAW is not going to make the difference in the end over another. Yeah ableton could rework the rendering engine, yeah their plugins could use some work... but has that stopped anyone from making some absolutely blinding music with the program?
steevio wrote:if you're just starting out with no money, ableton is probably the best way to get involved, and of course plenty of pros endorse it
Steevio how does not having money = get into ableton? Could you explain that to me?

If anyone is really worried about sound quality, sum in the analog realm.

As for the warping, deal with it, or turn off the grid and do it manually, or use another program with a better "warping" algorithm if you feeling like ableton's lacking. I have never had a problem with it...and I am an audiophile. I also love artifacts and mistakes and follow in that frame of through when producing quite a bit.


Now to completely contradict myself, I will say logic does sound better sometimes most likely because of the forced way you are to arrange your music (less loopitis).

Post Reply