going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by Mono-xID »

steevio wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:
steevio wrote:dont do it :)
why not?
i really dislike Ableton on many levels.

i find it weird that a one time protools user would end up on ableton some day.
what you don't like about it?...i know it's a matter of personal taste but i tried all the big DAWs and Live was the easiest to understand...very easy to handle and cool for jamming and doing some sketches...

dunno if it's overrated and if so,i give a flying phuck....there is a reason for the success of Live i think...ppl that tried Cubase,Logic etc. may found it overcomplicated and when they tried Live they had their first sense of achievement...

Like i said,it's just personal taste...you can make music with all of these programms..
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Mono-xID wrote:
steevio wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:
steevio wrote:dont do it :)
why not?
i really dislike Ableton on many levels.

i find it weird that a one time protools user would end up on ableton some day.
what you don't like about it?...i know it's a matter of personal taste but i tried all the big DAWs and Live was the easiest to understand...very easy to handle and cool for jamming and doing some sketches...

dunno if it's overrated and if so,i give a flying phuck....there is a reason for the success of Live i think...ppl that tried Cubase,Logic etc. may found it overcomplicated and when they tried Live they had their first sense of achievement...

Like i said,it's just personal taste...you can make music with all of these programms..
i used cubase for 12 or so years before i bought my first copy of Ableton (4), and took an instant dislike to how fiddly the interface was, what it did to the sound of my audio, and how pathetic the midi implementation was compared to Cubase. I also found the warp feature completely useless to me, (which was the main reason i bought it in the first place, as cubase was lacking in this department)
I still cannot use Warp, i'm an analogue producer and an audiophile, the degradation of audio is completely unacceptable to me (or it was in Ableton 7 was the last version i used before giving up on it altogether. Ableton was the main reason i gave up on using software altogether 2 and a half years ago. Certainly the midi-implemetation had improved by 7 however i still preferred to use Cubase for midi-sequencing before i switched my PC off for good.

I can totally see how if Ableton was your introduction to making music on a computer, it would be an easy way in, especially if all you do is sequence audio, but that doesnt stop me really disliking it.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

fair enough,man...it's really all taste i think...nothing big....

but the thing with "ableton sound engine = bad" is absolutely bullshit....just read an interesting article in Sound and Recording magazine where there is a test about the engines of all major DAWs...an Engine itself doesn't "sound"...it's the Instruments or FX but not the engine....

will look if i can translate the article...was a good read
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Mono-xID wrote:fair enough,man...it's really all taste i think...nothing big....

but the thing with "ableton sound engine = bad" is absolutely bullshit....just read an interesting article in Sound and Recording magazine where there is a test about the engines of all major DAWs...an Engine itself doesn't "sound"...it's the Instruments or FX but not the engine....

will look if i can translate the article...was a good read
yeah i totally never said the sound engine was bad, i said the warping is bad, and the warp feature is probably used by most people a lot of the time.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

there is something in Ableton i don't like the sound of. i think it might be the Richie Hawtin endorsement.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

steevio wrote:yeah i totally never said the sound engine was bad
i know...my engine comment wasn't aimed at you...it's just something i read everywhere when it comes to ableton...
slavink
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by slavink »

Hey guys, thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Let me first rectify. I'm broadening my horizon by diving into Ableton, not looking for it to totally replace Logic or whatever.
I just need to get a creative boost, and changing a stuck workflow could do just that.
Maybe after some time I'll decide Logic was the right choice after all.

For the guy who thought moving from Protools to Logic was madness, let me tell you: trying to keep up with the Digidesign/Avid hardware stuff is frustrating.. Too expensive.. Logic is just as good, maybe better. It certainly is a more complete package.
And yes, I did really miss out on soft synths in my Protools time.. Logic was an awakening for me in that respect. Maybe Ableton could be an awakening for me in workflow, or not lol.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

slavink wrote:Maybe Ableton could be an awakening for me in workflow, or not lol.
it will be for sure ;) ...Ableton is perfect for electronic music