going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by livecollective »

and as for the "some 'known musicians' would use ableton if you paid them" ... those musicians are wankers by the sound of it.

I'll use whatever I can from pen and paper to logic and back to make music, I don't care what it is. Do I have preferences of course... but to completely cut yourself off from something shows a bit of fear in not being able to recreate something in another daw and possibly putting way too much emphasis on the daw your using instead of the content of your music.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

livecollective wrote:and as for the "some 'known musicians' would use ableton if you paid them" ... those musicians are wankers by the sound of it.
in that case i'm a proud wanker.

if a tool drives me nuts like Ableton (and Logic) does, why should i put up with it when i can use something else? i wouldn't make music if i didn't enjoy it and i don't enjoy using Ableton or Logic.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

livecollective wrote: Steevio how does not having money = get into ableton? Could you explain that to me?

If anyone is really worried about sound quality, sum in the analog realm.

As for the warping, deal with it, or turn off the grid and do it manually, or use another program with a better "warping" algorithm if you feeling like ableton's lacking. I have never had a problem with it...and I am an audiophile. I also love artifacts and mistakes and follow in that frame of through when producing quite a bit.

Now to completely contradict myself, I will say logic does sound better sometimes most likely because of the forced way you are to arrange your music (less loopitis).
jeez calm down bro, i'm only saying i dont like Ableton's warp feature, i actually think its sh!t, and i really dont care whether you or anyone else releases on this or that label, i'm still not going to endorse something i think is totally lacking for me. its just an opinion bro, can you not see that.

what i meant about the money issue is if you're just starting out and cant afford hardware etc. then Ableton is a great way to get started, because its a comprehensive DAW which caters for just about everything a beginner would need.

edit; ok instead of just reacting like i did, maybe it would be more helpful if i explained why ableton doesnt work for me.

i record hours of live analogue jams every day, and i have hundreds of hours of tunes, half finished tunes, minimal loops etc. much of it unusable in its current form, but by mixing sections, loops, bits of audio etc. from different recordings i could have a huge amount of material to release, problem is much of it is at different tempos, and/or in different keys, thats why i bought ableton in the first place, i wanted an easy way to use the huge reservoir of material i have.

problem is, if i have a recording of an analogue session at say 125 and i want to mix in some bits that were, recorded at 127.425bpm, then the quality reduction even at that small amount of warp is so bad, that the two things will not sit right together, it is really obvious to me that the first track has pristine audio quality and the second sounds awful. that is me being an audiophile. its just not good enough.
i dont really care that someone else might want to mangle their sounds deliberately like that and may produce perfectly acceptable tunes (to them and whoever buys their music) but to me its not acceptable to what i want to do.
end of story
Last edited by steevio on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

livecollective wrote:and as for the "some 'known musicians' would use ableton if you paid them" ... those musicians are wankers by the sound of it.
hardly any of my friends in electronic music use Ableton, so they must all be wankers
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

come on now i said if known musicians wouldnt use software even if you paid them then they sound like wankers... i think goes for everyone in every sort of scenario.

its not to do with the money either just the principle. to be that oppose to something that you cut yourself off from it completely, something so benign and also a part of your passion seems off to me. whatever. I respect you guys... just a bit surprised with the logic here.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

steevio wrote:
i record hours of live analogue jams every day, and i have hundreds of hours of tunes, half finished tunes, minimal loops etc. much of it unusable in its current form, but by mixing sections, loops, bits of audio etc. from different recordings i could have a huge amount of material to release, problem is much of it is at different tempos, and/or in different keys, thats why i bought ableton in the first place, i wanted an easy way to use the huge reservoir of material i have.

problem is, if i have a recording of an analogue session at say 125 and i want to mix in some bits that were, recorded at 127.425bpm, then the quality reduction even at that small amount of warp is so bad, that the two things will not sit right together, it is really obvious to me that the first track has pristine audio quality and the second sounds awful. that is me being an audiophile. its just not good enough.
i dont really care that someone else might want to mangle their sounds deliberately like that and may produce perfectly acceptable tunes (to them and whoever buys their music) but to me its not acceptable to what i want to do.
end of story
this makes sense, and it made sense when you said originally that people have different expectations for a daw.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

tone-def wrote:
in that case i'm a proud wanker.

if a tool drives me nuts like Ableton (and Logic) does, why should i put up with it when i can use something else? i wouldn't make music if i didn't enjoy it and i don't enjoy using Ableton or Logic.
use whatever you enjoy the point is you tried it, you realized it wasnt for you, you didnt just say "oh fck that program".
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

livecollective wrote:come on now i said if known musicians wouldnt use software even if you paid them then they sound like wankers... i think goes for everyone in every sort of scenario.

its not to do with the money either just the principle. to be that oppose to something that you cut yourself off from it completely, something so benign and also a part of your passion seems off to me. whatever. I respect you guys... just a bit surprised with the logic here.
its not so much logic, but the inadequacies of explaining yourself properly on a forum without being missunderstood.

i intially reacted to the statement 'Don't care about sound quality'

i'm afraid no matter who says that, i will react to it, it goes against everything i've ever learned about music, and everything i stand for.