going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton noob?

all things.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: going from logic to ableton > any tips for an ableton no

Post by kdgh »

maybe you should consider renoise.
I suck with Ableton if i try to use it as a production tool.
As a live application it's massive :)!
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

steevio wrote:
yeah i totally never said the sound engine was bad, i said the warping is bad, and the warp feature is probably used by most people a lot of the time.
you should still give a try for ableton as an multitrack recorder for your modular stuff, because in ableton you can do loops from your polyrythyms with different lengths.. and record as long takes on top of them as you like.. i use ableton like that way with my hardware stuff and i think it is just amazing used that way..

and when you are using ableton that way, you don´t need to care about the bad timestrech algorithm..
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nakoradiomies wrote:
steevio wrote:
yeah i totally never said the sound engine was bad, i said the warping is bad, and the warp feature is probably used by most people a lot of the time.
you should still give a try for ableton as an multitrack recorder for your modular stuff, because in ableton you can do loops from your polyrythyms with different lengths.. and record as long takes on top of them as you like.. i use ableton like that way with my hardware stuff and i think it is just amazing used that way..

and when you are using ableton that way, you don´t need to care about the bad timestrech algorithm..
yeah i tried it with ableton a while ago, i've always tried to multitrack my studio since i started making EDM (coming from a recording studio background), but i never do it anymore, its not necessary, my modular is one instrument, everything is connected intimately, you cant separate the parts (well you can but it works much better if you dont, it doesnt take too much practice to be very precise with your levels).
i'm 100% live, all i need is stereo, that way you always have the overview of the entire mix, it makes your recordings more homogenous. i used to be much less careful when i multitracked, always thinking i could sort it out in the mixdown, but inevitably theres a disconnectedness about the final mixdown.
get it right at source, thats my motto with absolutely everything to do with electronic music.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

is there a way in ableton to have audio parts looped playing from clip mode, but the warp off?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

You're using Logic, so you're obviously on a mac. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Got tired of the timeline and drawing everything in. sh!t got boring.

I have a feeling Numerology http://www.five12.com is what you're looking for. Couple it with a novation launchpad and it's still cheaper then Ableton. I rewire it into Logic and everything works great. There's even a sweet offset tool to line up all your external gear. It's all about jamming and getting sh!t done quickly.

Every person I got into this software fuckin' loves it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:is there a way in ableton to have audio parts looped playing from clip mode, but the warp off?
you just switch it off bro
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:is there a way in ableton to have audio parts looped playing from clip mode, but the warp off?
you just switch it off bro
i read today on the ableton forum, that its not possible to loop a clip without warp on. that really does suck as warp fucks up the entire sound.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

then i wonder why most of the tracks from the big guys who uses Live sounding good?