Ableton - trying to roll off master at 30hz...

all things.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ableton - trying to roll off master at 30hz...

Post by kivetros »

I'm still pretty new to Ableton, so forgive the noob question... but back in my FL days, if I wanted to roll off my master at a certain frequency, it was really easy to load up the built-in Parametric EQ 2 effect and set the Q slope to be super steep, which made it really easy to be super precise about what frequencies I wanted to eliminate. However, as far as I can tell, none of Ableton's built-in plugins seem to be able to have as steep of a slope as I'd like.

How do you guys roll off at 30hz / 40hz whatever? Is there a 3rd party plugin that works well for this? With FL, I never had to worry about using a 3rd party plugin for this, so I don't really know of any.

Thanks!
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Ableton - trying to roll off master at 30hz...

Post by Hades »

not sure about how it would sound (at work so can't check at the moment)
but if you don't like the roll-of slopes of EQ8, (if you consider them not steep enough)
perhaps you can try this little trick.
first you load one EQ8 and put the Q high enough, so that the slope becomes steeper
then load another EQ8 right after that one to top the unwanted gain you get by turning up the Q of the first one.
that's the first thing that pops into my mind, but I'm not sure if it would still sound fine.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

Hades wrote:not sure about how it would sound (at work so can't check at the moment)
but if you don't like the roll-of slopes of EQ8, (if you consider them not steep enough)
perhaps you can try this little trick.
first you load one EQ8 and put the Q high enough, so that the slope becomes steeper
then load another EQ8 right after that one to top the unwanted gain you get by turning up the Q of the first one.
that's the first thing that pops into my mind, but I'm not sure if it would still sound fine.
I thought of that, too, but haven't tried it yet.

I actually found a plugin more or less made for this:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-effects

TAL-USE (down the page a little ways) has a knob specifically for rolling off under 30hz, and it works beautifully! AND it's free!

Thanks for taking the time to answer, though.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Never sure whats the best plugin for this... But I believe using an eq with a huge slope >24db will create more resonance right at that frequency this is the And I read that using a linear phase EQ to avoid this resonance is no good too because it can do weird things to your low-end.

If you look at some mastered tracks on a spectrum, you'll probably find your answers as to how much you can really have going on below 30hz.

Another tip would be to fix this in your mix. That way you aren't doing a blanket eq/filter on everything... And the only thing that needs sub sonic bass is well... probably your bass. So you could just use a filter on the rest of your channels.

Either way... Do what works.... If the tilt shift does beautiful things. Then well it's beautiful.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

hydrogen wrote:Never sure whats the best plugin for this... But I believe using an eq with a huge slope >24db will create more resonance right at that frequency this is the And I read that using a linear phase EQ to avoid this resonance is no good too because it can do weird things to your low-end.

If you look at some mastered tracks on a spectrum, you'll probably find your answers as to how much you can really have going on below 30hz.

Another tip would be to fix this in your mix. That way you aren't doing a blanket eq/filter on everything... And the only thing that needs sub sonic bass is well... probably your bass. So you could just use a filter on the rest of your channels.

Either way... Do what works.... If the tilt shift does beautiful things. Then well it's beautiful.
Well, I looked at the output in an analyzer, and it looks okay and doesn't sound resonant at all in the bottom end.

My kick was the real culprit, though... it had a nice attack and thump, but the bottom end was just way too boomy.

Thanks for the advice about the EQs, though. I've never even heard of a linear phase EQ, but if I come across one, I'll know not to use it on my low end. And that's a really good idea about running a mastered track through a spectrum - I never would have thought of that!