going crazy on the ableton midi clock

all things.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

going crazy on the ableton midi clock

Post by Rein »

so i've got a problem here that i can't figure out.

my setup is as follows:

ableton sends midi to vermona drm1-mk3 (through emu x-midi tab usb) -->the vermona sends audio to the input on my sound card -->the audio is received in ableton as a audio track and sends that audio to the master out.

the problem is that it's impossible to sync ableton and the vermona, not even with a sample buffer size set to 32. they always lose sync after a few seconds.

the only way to get things working is by using a usb mixer. setup is then as follows:
ableton sends midi to vermin through usb & also sends audio through another usb to the mixer --> mixer receives audio from both ableton and vermona --> perfectly sync.

so the problem has to do with the delay in usb maybe? but i don't want to use a big mixer for only one drum computer if i've got a perfect sound card to do that job.

someone any ideas? any help would be much appreciated!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: going crazy on the ableton midi clock

Post by tone-def »

do you mean they sound out of time with each other?

there is a setting in ableton you can adjust. i don't use it so can't tell you where it is.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Can you set the midi delay in Ableton? It's quite easy to do in Logic and I can't imagine that feature isn't available in Ableton.

The way to get it locked in perfect is to make a 0 attack snappy sound on your DRM and record it. Then chop that sound out and load it up in ableton as a one shot. Next, put a midi note on the DRM channel at the same exact location as the loaded up one shot (leaving the sound you made on the DRM intact). Maybe draw out a bar's worth of these. finally, hit record.

There will be a small delay between the two sounds. Measure the distance between the two in milliseconds. Adjust the midi delay in Ableton by this amount and you should be locked in.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Instead of decreasing your buffersize, try the midi delay function. Probably an option in the preferences of Ableton Live. Otherwise try to fuzz with the pre-delay on the audio channels
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

when i had my vermona i used to record each individual sound into pro tools then quantize the audio. i'm sure ablton has similar features.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

thanks for the fast replies! eventually fixed it by using the midi on the m-audio (firewire)... that one does sync constant, so that it can be fixed using track delay...