ABLETON - Can you actually DJ "Live" as u would with decks?

all things.
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

ABLETON - Can you actually DJ "Live" as u would with decks?

Post by spage »

I have a basic understanding of what Ableton is about and its uses from forums such as this, however, I was talking with a gentleman about Ableton and he told me that when you see a DJ in a club "DJing" with Ableton they are not "DJing" in the the way you would with vinyl or CD's. What he was basically saying was due to the way Ableton works you cannot suddenly on the spur of the moment decide the current pace is going well and instead of playing the next record that has been set up in Ableton suddenly play a totally different record. If you were playing with vinyl or CD's, you could simply remove the record you longer want to play and beat match and EQ the the new track and then mix it into the track that is currently playing, whereas with Ableton you couldn't do this.

Is this nonsense?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ABLETON - Can you actually DJ "Live" as u would with dec

Post by patrick bateman »

It's nonsense, yes.
Delete the track, load a new track, cue/monitor and mix..
spage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spage »

i thought it was nonsense he was talking.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

It can definitely be done, but as a rule I'd say there's not much point in Ableton if you're wanting to do "old-skool" DJing. Using decks is much more fun for that, Ableton only really comes into its own when you're doing more fancy stuff with loops, live remixing and so on.

The "fancy stuff" doesn't necessarily have to be pre-planned though, it can certainly be done on the fly. It's just a different type of DJing.