NI Maschine + Ableton Live

all things.
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

NI Maschine + Ableton Live

Post by devontodetroit »

Whats the general consensus with regards to Maschine? I'm currently using Ableton with the APC40 but was thinking of maybe adding or even swapping with Maschine?

Whos got one?
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: NI Maschine + Ableton Live

Post by NomadSpectrum »

So am I
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I don't have an APC, so i can't really compare the 2.

I find Maschine very intuitive to use, very fun to jam beats and ideas on, or even to play livesets with. However it's not really fitting my production workflow. Although you can drag and drop audio, and midi directly into live, i find it tedious to edit, versus lets say the versatility and integration of the Drumracks. The more i use it, the more it feels like a dedicated sampler machine, rather than a plugin that integrates well with your daw. Now that i'm writing that, i guess i should use it more as an MPC and simply record jams straight into ableton, like i do with the Machinedrum...

The built in fxs and the fact you can load up vsts is a great plus, but the fact that when you load a group ( which is a bit like a 16pad preset) it looses all of the routing, is a bit turndown for me, especially in a live situation... So for now it's taking a bit of dust and gets taken out eventually for a quick jam, but not more than that. Maybe i haven't really understood it yet...

If anyone's got more specific questions, i'll do my best to answer them.

oh and as a shameless promo plug, here's a small liveset i recorded with wesen last weekend. It was played on Maschine, 2 MachineDrums and a MonoMachine:
Last edited by Opuswerk on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Wicked liveset mate, I used to rock a SPS1 myself.

I'm thinking of using Ableton live with Maschine and an APC40 to orchestrate the whole mix for my liveset, I could then bounce audio out and into Protools to create stand alone tracks.

Question; Does the actual Maschine have audio outs? Or virtual outs into the DAW via USB?
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Plus thats not even mentioning the fact you can use Maschine with Traktor :)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

You have to always remember the hardware really is only a very specific midi controller device built for the Maschine software. The only ports on it are USB, MID In and MIDI Out. Interestingly, the clock going out from it is very stable compared to the one coming out of my MOTU Ultralite.

I believe Maschine has 8 virtual audio outs, plus some internal routing.
You basically get 2 aux per pad, which you can either route to 2 other pads that are used as send fxs.

p.s.: glad you liked the set btw :) the machinedrum we got are MKII UW, so they allow for some nice sample mangling action too :)
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I too am interested. Maybe this would encourage me to stop the mouse clicking I'm trying to defer from.
I've also been thinking about a Machinedrum. Arggghhhhhhh! Decisions decsions. Please, I don't want to become one of those gear junkies that has to0 much stuff and doesn't use it.